preps
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi Y'all

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    222 Thanks

Yes I have talked with Tallman some. Seems like a real good guy. I think from all the info you great folks have been giving me I will start off by playing around with the cobra 29wxnwst I have now. While I get a base antenna setup. Seems like working from the top down might be the way to go. Meanwhile I will keep reading and learning.

Since I can't resist tinkering with things looks like I'll tinker with my radio etc. I have a multi meter from harbor freight their high end unit not the two dollar one. What other meters and such are needed.

Thanks
    Stang

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Swr if the rig has not got built in.. that's what I'm doing right now ! Antenna position and tune critical ! Must be right ... a good monitoring set up for your battery's that you can see while on the radio was important for me too.. 351.. glad you like the site mate ! Some very nice guys ere and few months ago I was rubbishing those that have " Friends " they have never met... ha ha now I am one of them because I've got good mates I've never met right hear.... cheers Stang...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (03-16-2014), stang (03-16-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The SWR are okay at best 1.1 on 40 and 1.3-1.4 on 1 I adjusted the antenna up till it's almost out of the set screws. Wilson 1000 Have it centered on top of my 98 cherokee Mag mount.

Thanks
    Stang

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try moving your antenna toward the rear of the Cherokee, may help some. It will make it more directional, but may help with the swr readings. I know when I had my 89 Cherokee setup, my antenna was about 12-18" from the rear of the truck. I used a good quick disconnect brass mount and a old school single coil monkey made, swr was 1.1 at 50ohms on a analyzer. Was a talking machine. Anyway just some food for thought, it may help, it may not, but it won't hurt to try. God bless.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (03-16-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    Try moving your antenna toward the rear of the Cherokee, may help some. It will make it more directional, but may help with the swr readings. I know when I had my 89 Cherokee setup, my antenna was about 12-18" from the rear of the truck. I used a good quick disconnect brass mount and a old school single coil monkey made, swr was 1.1 at 50ohms on a analyzer. Was a talking machine. Anyway just some food for thought, it may help, it may not, but it won't hurt to try. God bless.
    Sure won't hurt to try. I've got an 89 too 6" lift & 33's it's gotten a little long in the tooth with 240,000 miles.

Stang

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved mine for radio stuff, as they don't have a bunch of electronics.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (03-17-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Stang, I hot email today saying pjbox is out of stock of Grant11... All sold out.. 351... got mine up and going, hope to hear from you one day.. Cheers... ;-) SR-351 down under...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

stang (03-17-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    I loved mine for radio stuff, as they don't have a bunch of electronics.
    My 98 doesn't like my cobra. every time I key up the idle drops and it tries to cut off in the lower channels not so much above 15.

Thanks
    Stang

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by solarradio351 View Post
    Stang, I hot email today saying pjbox is out of stock of Grant11... All sold out.. 351... got mine up and going, hope to hear from you one day.. Cheers... ;-) SR-351 down under...
    It's okay right now I am playing with my cobra 29. In the next few weeks I hope to get a base antenna up. Once that's up and working I think I'm going to get a Galaxy I really like the 2547 but money may decide I have to settle for a 959. Think I'll have it worked over before I get it. While I am going to try and mod this old 29 I'm not going to try on a brand new radio. Don't know if I'll ever have the power to reach you as I don't have any plans for a box at this time. I use to talk to Sidney 20+ years ago from a mobile with a 102" and homemade by a friend 1000w box. So you never know.

Stang

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Howdy Stang. I love my 959. I haven't done much to it yet. Just a mild tune no big hop-ups yet. When the warranty runs out I have big plans [dreams perhaps] for it. Unlocking the clarifier, 10k switch, receive upgrades ect. Not real interested in maxing out the pwr because personaly I would rather have the clean audio with less watts and let my 2speed power glide put the fire out. Not that I have anything against the hi-pwr radios just want mine to sound almost studio quality and not mudded up with overmodulation
    QUACKA QUACKA FOR A MUD DUCK CHECK QUACK QUACK

18. The Following User Says Thank You to halfwatt959 For This Useful Post:

stang (03-18-2014)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None