preps
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi Y'all

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Y'all

Been here lurking and learning or so I was hoping. Seems the more I read the more confused I get! lol Yep you guessed it I am new to this world. I've had stock CB's before but don't know $hit about them. I am hoping you all can teach me enough to setup a couple rigs. We (2 daughters and I) live off grid and 2 miles from it and neighbors. I want to setup a decent base station and a couple (3) mobiles. Way back here in the woods in the foot hills of Va we are going to need a bit of power to get out. I recently dug out my 06 china made cobra 29 WX and got a wilson 1000. So at this time that's all I have to work with. Been eyeing a couple galaxys the 959 and 2547. I would like to end up with all AM & SSB shit. Speaking of which I saw somewhere my 29 can have SSB added, but IDK if that was BS. Being a disabled single dad of 2 young girls my funds are limited and am hoping you can help me avoid costly mistakes.

So hoping you all can set this rookie straight. If you guys don't like newbies just say so and I'll haul A$$!

Thanks
    Stang

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome stang. If you are needing a base the 2547 is decent. It drifts around the frequency when warming up but they perform good. You will need a good antenna up in the air so go with a Antron 99 base antenna. rightchannelradios.com sells the radio, antenna, and coax as a kit. BE SURE TO TUNE SWR'S ON ALL SETUPS!
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the caveman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    Speaking of which I saw somewhere my 29 can have SSB added, but IDK if that was BS. If you guys don't like newbies just say so and I'll haul A$$!

Thanks
    Stang
    You were being totally BS'd about adding SSB to an AM only radio. We were all NEWBIES at one time or another. I was a Newbie in 1968. We try to teach with out the Preach!
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey thanks you guys!

I would love some recommendations for better radio's and equipment that won't break the bank. Not set on the galaxys just something caught my eye.

Where should I post for help setting up a system from scratch?

BTW If any of you want to learn how to make it off grid we've been here 6 years and may be able to pass along some info about that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Base radio section, General discussion. I personally like Galaxy radios. The SSB does drift a little at first but they settle right in and work just fine. The drift is not as bad as some brands I've seen. I have a Yaesu FT-890AT that drifts so bad I don't use it at all. Some of the Galaxy radios I have aligned tuned right up and hold the channels just fine.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

stang (03-14-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WELCOME STANG ! we were all newbees at some stage... enjoy the site mate, good guys with some great help.. cheers from down under... 351

12. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    H
    owdy Mr. Stang. I am still green as grass myself. I'm learning fairly fast though. Any way I can help I will gladly do so. as far as being off grid that's cool as polarbear tracks. I personaly take pride In being self reliant but these guys are a big help on radio stuff. Actualy a great bunch we have here. best of luck
    QUACKA QUACKA FOR A MUD DUCK CHECK QUACK QUACK

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to halfwatt959 For This Useful Post:

stang (03-15-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Stang... I'm a bushy from Australia, we are stand alone Solar powered, its a bit greedy for power if you stay on yapping but uses very little to have on, just the transmit is the user... If I can help in any way let me know I built my solar system from scratch, not fancy just works ! Led lights in cabin use nothing, best thing out the LEDs are awesome lights work well 24v or 12v will even take 48v but too bright then... feel free to ask whatever you want or need to know, I won't have all the answers but may be able to help in some way... cheers mate.. 351 down under ..

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

stang (03-15-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tallman
    Thanks Do you work on radios for others. Like if I bought one could I send it to you to have it gone over?

Halfwatt

How ya like that 959? Thats on my short list of possible radios. Have you done anything to it?

Solarradio

I read your posts about getting your new radio I would love to know more about it. Also I saw where you don't have hot water. I just finished building a rocket stove water heater for our place. I posted a bunch of pictures of the build on another forum. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/cou...pic-heavy.html It will heat fifty gallons in about an hour or hour and a half from 50 to 150 F off less than a five gallon bucket full of wood.

We have a 5000 w inverter and one hell of a battery bank. Not nearly as many panels as we need but hope to get some more this year.

Thanks Everyone

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

solarradio351 (03-15-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Stang.. Will have a look at that for sure, sounds like your pretty set, few panels to add and you will be laughing ... do you use led lights ? Big saving of power and real kind to battery's ... cheers mate .. 351... this site is awesome and has some gold as far as people go, Tallman has been a big help to me, and would have forgot more than I know.. lol.. cheers stang, off to see the pix would love a big tub... oooooaaahhhh.... Solar Radio-351 deep South Tasmania .....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

Visitors found this page by searching for

None