preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cobra 29wxnwst I know I shouldn't

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    Thanks Tallman

Now I need to find a good base antenna. I need a vertical since it going way up and I can't build a tower right now. Looking at one of these http://www.hyelectronics.com/new-bas...fo/GAINMASTER/ Kinda pricey. It's between that and a Imax 2000 unless I find something that looks better. But as I need a minimum of 60' of guyed mast pole to get through the trees. I've got a 11'x14'TV and cell ant. both on guyed masts both over 40 ft up. The tv is 20 ft over my roof though the cell is a true 40' pole.

Thanks
    Stang
    This is the one I use. It does pretty good.
    http://www.hyelectronics.com/BASE-AN...ductinfo/M400/
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

stang (03-17-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks like a real good antenna for low $$. Just my kind of deal.

THANKS
    Stang

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That looks like a real good antenna for low $$. Just my kind of deal.

THANKS
    Stang
    hey stang my old 29 Wx St had just a little peak and tune done. i know i will probably catch hell but set Vr4 at about 85% or 90% and gentle space the coils with a flat plastic tool (i forgot which coils exactly) and it will do wonders. i talked plenty of skip with mine like that on a Roadpro 4ft fiberglass antenna and stock microphone off the old cobra radios.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the caveman For This Useful Post:

stang (03-18-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The nice thing about that antenna is study the length adjustment chart pick out your center frequency and set the length with a tape measure. I studied mine and set it for my ten meter radios and the swr on the antenna is low. It does have good broad band capability. Although the receive is a little light because it is a 1/4 wave length.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

stang (03-18-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Caveman, I think I have the notes on that mod here somewhere, now finding it might be a trick. lol

Tallman, Do you know if H&Y's gives any kind of price break if you order multiple items? IE antenna, coax, radio, rfx units & parts.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order an antenna Monday or Tuesday. H&Y's lists that M-400 as 7 db gain . Does anyone know of anything higher while staying to a straight antenna? What ever I get is going way up a guyed mast. So beams are out.

Thanks
    Stang

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One thing worries me about that M-400 versus a Imax 2000 or A99 or Gainmaster. That's the high wind gusts we get here. It's not just blowing from one direction at one speed. Here it seems to flip around and gust 30-50 in many directions at once. I think its the way the hills channel the winds. I have some experience with big antennas up in the air but not as high as this is going to go. My 11 x 14 foot tv antenna is 41-42 feet off the ground but on a tripod mount with 4 guy wires and 20 ft of mast on the roof.

Thanks
    Stang

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have any idea what to expect. Gut feeling is better than 15 watts. Which is about 5 times the 3+- it's doing now.

Does that seem unlikely?

Stang
    Cobra 29's never came with a 1969 from the factory. They come with a 2078. If you throw a 520 in there you might see 15w out of it, provided you do the installation correctly and you also do a host of other things to it. However going from 5w to 15w isnt going to change things on the receiving end. If you're so concerned about getting out the first thing you need is a proper base antenna, installed & grounded properly. Consider looking into the Penetrator, Maco v58, or Sirio GainMaster. The higher up the antenna is...the better it will TX & RX.

After the antenna situation is rectified, if you're still not getting out like you'd want to, look into an amp. We'll discuss that issue when the time comes. Meanwhile, quit screwing around with dumb shit like the MOSFET and focus on whats really important--the antenna.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

stang (03-18-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now the 29 is in my jeep getting some limited use. I like modding things. Bad and costly habit but I enjoy it, always have and always will. I am working on making my mind up which antenna by Monday Tuesday at the latest. The gainmaster is on the short list if I decide to go that route it'll be another week before I can order it. $$$ talk bs walks. I can only do so much at a time. For the receiving end I ordered that upgrade also. Weather I'll have a box of junk or a radio when I get done only time will tell. Reminds me of when I built a 79 camaro into a 10 second ride mom came by and asked if it would ever be a car again.? I had the subframe and all out. Yes it ran many times after best time ever was 8.73 @177 MPH on a 180 NOS shot and 10.20 ANYTIME on motor. Building it was a lot of fun and driving it was even more.

Have a nice night

Stang

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you enjoy fiddling with radios, see if you can find some at the flea market. I always had decent luck at the flea market and hamfests. So if you blow up a radio you won't be out much money. Good way to cut your teeth without trashing a good working rig.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

stang (03-18-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know yet weather or not I'll enjoy foolin with radios but I'll soon find out. I just like to tinker with things in general. If you know what I mean. I live so far out in the sticks it's probably 50 miles to a flea market. But thanks for the tip. We have radio trading posts here I've been listening out for any CB's but haven't heard any for sale yet. The radio I am going to try and mod I thought was a lost cause after it being missing for six or so years. I am amazed it works at all.

Thanks
    Stang

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Visitors found this page by searching for

None