preps
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cobra 29wxnwst I know I shouldn't

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Putting the cart before the horse again. I picked up almost 1,000 ft of guy wire for my antenna today. Now I just need to make up my mind what kind of antenna. lol

Did make a 20+ mile contact this morning mobile to mobile. It ain't skip but still not bad.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Still waiting on the rest of my parts and tools I ordered. Wish they would get here already. The cobra is honestly doing better trips talking local than I expected. No skip yet, guess thats to be expected with a bone stock old radio in a mobile.

My base antenna plans had to take a back seat as my jeep broke down 80 miles from home yesterday. Set me back several weeks to a month or so. I just love doing parking lot repairs after walking to buy parts and tools, since I wasn't prepared. The good news it's fixed now. Made for a long LONG day in the city.

You all have a good weekend.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just opened up my radio thinking I would install these parts today. Mosfet supertune, swing kit, receive kit. Now I'm not so sure. Think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! LOL The kits came with instructions but most of it is greek to me. I really want to do this but when I'm not even sure which parts are which.....

Tallman do you work on cobras? If so please PM me with an estimate to install the three kits. Or better yet if you would be willing to walk me through the process I would really like to learn.

Thanks

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay got most of the parts in and it still works. I am a bit disappointed the power actually dropped. I was getting 3.5 watts now less. Channel 1 close to 3.5 channel 40 just over 2 watts. Don't understand how the power can be different across the channels. But it works it's way down from channel one all the way through 40. I'm confused. Still have the receive kit to put in but both the mosfet and swing kits are in. Everyone I spoke with on it said it sounded real good though. But I need POWER! At least a little. you know 15-20 watts

Guess I could have done something wrong. IDK
    STANG
    .............​ 406

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Power dropped when putting in the MOSFET. Not surprised.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

stang (03-25-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    Power dropped when putting in the MOSFET. Not surprised.
    Really ? Why would that happen? Is there a fix to boost this thing? If I can get 15-20 watts that would be a good start.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone have any other ideas what might be going on with this thing. It's swinging from 1 w to 3-3.5 but that's it. Someone mentioned the mic might be weak not modulating hard enough to make it swing like it should.. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    STANG
    .............​ 406

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well good news my new meter is junk. My mods turned out great after all I just found out. Also found out today we have a local radio guy who's been working on them 40+ years. Took my radio to him this evening told him what I had done & that I thought I had messed it up. He put it on his meter dead key 1 watt swing 18 watts. Clean & clear sounds pretty damn good. Guess now I need to go get busy doing the schottkey receive mod and it'll be done. While I was there I got a D 104 desk mike, a frequency counter and a Uniden PC-122. So now I get to see if I can do the same mods to the uniden I did to the 29. Even better I talked skip a couple times on the way home so it was a gooooooooooooooood day!

STANG
    .............​ 406

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The irf520 mosfet conversion/mod is capable of produceing 30-35w when you tune everything else. Be sure not to turn any cans and if you are or are planning to run an amp make sure the deadkey is set at no more than 3w. Also be carefull when tuneing the coils. It is real easy to mess things up. But I encourage you to learn and good luck
    QUACKA QUACKA FOR A MUD DUCK CHECK QUACK QUACK

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey stang leave that PC122 alone. They pack a mean Punch stock!! Great ssb radio!! I have a pc122xl and it is one nice radio. Small package that packs a mean punch. The 1969 final in the 122 is a rugged device and is clean. I wouldn't mess with that particular radio. Buy a cobra 25 or a other 29 and play with those IMO. The pc122 is just a good radio without any mods IMO. Anyway hope all is well and that you are feeling better. God bless.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None