preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cobra 29wxnwst I know I shouldn't

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cobra 29wxnwst I know I shouldn't

But I thought I might put a swing kit my my cobra. I can't resist tinkering around with things. And hey the kit was 6.50 free delivery. That's a lot less than the gas would have cost to drive to Radioshack.

To tell the truth I've never tried working on a radio before. This looks like a simple parts swapping job though. I'm probably wrong about that but I hope not.

If any of you have any pointers now would be a nice time to share them.

Stang
    Last edited by stang; 03-15-2014 at 10:58 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgot to mention the kit is actually for a 29LTD my radio is a 29wxnwst. From what I have read they are the same parts though. Anybody know if thats right or wrong?

Thanks
    Stang

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best advice I can give is be gentle with the circuit boards when de-soldering the parts you take out. Pressing harder with the soldering iron will not make work any faster. Have a sponge next to the iron damp with water, drag the iron tip across the sponge lightly and rotate it a bit so it cleans all the way around. Then put a little new solder(Tinning) on the tip so you have good heat transfer to the joint you are working on. Solder suckers work okay but sometimes you still need de-soldering braid to clear the solder away. Watch some videos on Youtube and you should get a good idea. Double check your work and be careful not to leave any solder debris inside the radio.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (03-16-2014), stang (03-16-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Tallman

I just can't resist modifying things. Don't know why, just the way I am I guess. Of course I also like learning new things.

This 29 works pretty well for a dead stock radio. Was talking to my neighbor 2 miles away he said I was putting 7-8 on the scale. Now that's in VA timberland and the foothills. About 60 ft down the back side of the hills from him. Mobile to mobile, he has a galaxy 55. He's not a CB regular he mainly uses it during hunting season. Doesn't seem to be many people around here on the radio. So I need to get up and strong to get out and talk.

Now I need to find a good base antenna. I need a vertical since it going way up and I can't build a tower right now. Looking at one of these http://www.hyelectronics.com/new-bas...fo/GAINMASTER/ Kinda pricey. It's between that and a Imax 2000 unless I find something that looks better. But as I need a minimum of 60' of guyed mast pole to get through the trees. I've got a 11'x14'TV and cell ant. both on guyed masts both over 40 ft up. The tv is 20 ft over my roof though the cell is a true 40' pole.

Thanks
    Stang

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I made up my mind to play with this cobra 29 while I get my money together to setup a base station. I figured why stop with just a swing kit and also ordered this http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRF-520-MOSF...item3a755ce121

I've built everything else I own might as well try building a radio too. If I blow it all I'm out is 16.50 for both kits and an old radio I had forgotten I had. If it works I might just get that old cobra talking LOUD AND PROUD... lol

Stang

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well this little project has gotten a bit more costly! I went ahead and ordered a receive kit also. Then I got to thinking that I would need a solder sucker and a small iron since all I have is a 150w gun. Then I realized I would have to have at least a couple meters. So I can see what's changing as I go. So now all that's ordered too. I don't really mind the cost of tools I'm sure they will come in handy for years to come. The basic radio parts cost about the same as a meal at a fast food joint.

Now they need to hurry up and get here! Then maybe you guys will be able to hear me shoutin out!

Wonder what kind of power I can expect from all this?

Slowly going stir crazy sitting inside, will this miserable winter ever end? My girls now have about a month of makeup snow days. Wonder if they will have any summer break?

Stang
    Last edited by stang; 03-17-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post

Don't get your hopes up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon Gekko For This Useful Post:

stang (03-17-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have any idea what to expect. Gut feeling is better than 15 watts. Which is about 5 times the 3+- it's doing now.

Does that seem unlikely?

Stang

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post

Stang
    If your radio is a fet output transistor you will see some increase. If it is a 2sc1969 Bipolar transistor output you might not see any gain.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

stang (03-17-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallman View Post
    If your radio is a fet output transistor you will see some increase. If it is a 2sc1969 Bipolar transistor output you might not see any gain.
    Thanks Tallman
    From what I read the 2sc1969 was the fist step up and the 520 mosfet was the second more powerful. But who knows, I sure don't.

Stang

Visitors found this page by searching for

None