preps

Thread: 102" on a trailer hitch?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

102" on a trailer hitch?

I have this idea for a trailer hitch mount for a 102" whip and I wanted to get some opinions on it. I was
    thinking about modifying a trailer ball mount that slides into a 2" receiver so that I would have the advantages of the full 102" whip but mounted low enough to not be a height issue & also be quickly removable when the tailgate needs to be dropped or going through a car wash, etc. The mount itself wouldn't be a big deal. The only concern I have is the grounding of the ant. on the hitch. Most trailer hitches that slide into a receiver are just a loose fit held in with a pin. Would there be a good way to keep the antenna grounded properly & still be able to disconnect & reconnect when necessary? Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roadrunner For This Useful Post:

dawghouse (09-18-2014), redwagon (03-28-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not that I think this is a good idea but hard wire the ground using a male & female connector. That way you have a good clean ground with quick disconnect ability.

Larry
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-21-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of the local skip shooters and key down guys here use receiver mounted ants. But most have the base of the ant. even with or above the roofline. Down low would work [not as well] provided you get the SWR down. Would also recommend using a field strength meter to find the best location to mount the ant. before going on a receiver hitch. That said if you try it let us know how it works out. best of luck 73s
    QUACKA QUACKA FOR A MUD DUCK CHECK QUACK QUACK

6. The Following User Says Thank You to halfwatt959 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would get it at least above the bed of the truck, and also may want to try to get some metal under the antenna, and like said make sure you get a good ground. Use a short piece from the frame to the antenna mounting plate and/or the receiver piece.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i'll suggest a 108 inch whip rather than the 102 unless you're gonna use a big spring or something else to reach the 108ish length of a full length 1/4 wave for the CB band . also be careful with how high the tailgate is next to the antenna ... more than a few feet and the reflect may be so high you;ll play hell tryinh to tune it or may not be able too at all .

just my opinion ..... but i'd expect better performance from a 5-7 ft decent antenna on the roof than a 9 footer down low on the back .. and also far less headaches doing the install and better forward and omni performance with the vehicle providing a decent ground plane under the antenna .

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (08-22-2014)

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1209-102-quot-on-a-trailer-hitch