preps
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Galaxy 959 what would you have done?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tallman does work on radios and is a forum member. He can do the work on your radio. As far as amps, Dave made or xforce. If you can find an old real JOKER amp, made by peekaboo, you will have a good amp as well.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tallman was going to do it but he said he's kinda busy and doesn't want to take on anything else right now.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are other techs that you can send it to as well like Doug's custom cb's or DTB radio, bells cb shop. Just to name a few, all great techs and won't hack a radio up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (04-03-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    There are other techs that you can send it to as well like Doug's custom cb's or DTB radio, bells cb shop. Just to name a few, all great techs and won't hack a radio up.
    Yep had seen bell's does right much. Just wish there was somewhere local but there's nothing around here. Right now I have emails out to a few places to see who will give me the best package deal for everything I want to get. May or may not be able to do that as so far H&Y is the only place I know of that carries the Siro Gainmaster antenna.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you try DNJ radio for the antenna they are the other sirio dealer for the US.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    I am planning to buy a new Galaxy 959 later this month. Looking for ideas what should be done as far as upgrades.

My ideas so far looking for more want to have everything done before I have it shipped.
    1) tuned peaked and aligned.
    2) schottkey diodes for receive
    3) RFX 150

Question will the 959 have enough power to work that RFX 150 from what I read they need 40-45 watts going into them to work correctly with full output power? I also read the RFX can be setup with adjustable power which I would like to have.

Anything else that could or should be done? Not interested in an echo board.

This radio is actually going to be setup as a base station. Looking at the gainmaster antenna. Anyone here used one? The radio will be run off of a battery bank since we are off grid.

Of course I plan to have Tallman set everything up since he is the guru on this site.

Thanks
    Honestly don't like that RFX150, unless really need due to room, better off with separate 2 or 4 pill transistor, with 40-45 out of radio a 4 pill straight transistor with no driving pill will blow awy the RFX150, and using jumper cables will get out much better and see better power on meter plus avoiding any more heat close to radio which in turn shortens life of amp and radio. Tune and Peak, Open Clarifier, Swing Mod, RF Power output Adjustable so can can lower deadkey to 2 watts as high as 6-8 watts (Remember lower deadkey better audio alot of radio's from factory can't go to a 2 watt deakey so has to be moded, 2 watts swing up to 40-45 watts will sound awesome), and Receive mod a must. IMHO. Gainmaster great antenna but can only handle 500 watts max and if upgrade won't be good for a 4 pill or even a hard driven 2 pill. Would consider the penetrator 500 new one in production if want metal or even the Imax 2000 with ground plane if looking for a vertical. Get an Astron Power supply will last forever, I know are costly but worth every penny, no RF leakage which creates all sorts of noises in transmission and audio, battery ok to start if can't afford. Also another good idea is to have 2 separate power supplies one for radio and one for heat especially if get the power supply where you can dial in the amount of volts separately to each piece of equipment, for example the Astron Power supply's can go from 12.5-15 volts and is regulated power supply.
    Last edited by NY714; 04-04-2014 at 06:06 AM.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NY714 For This Useful Post:

stang (04-04-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Checked out DNJ radios didn't seem to good on selection or prices. But you never know. Still holding out for my Galaxy although I did pick up a uniden today for 25 bucks. Where is a good place to order an amp for AM & SSB?
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The antenna you want is the sirio pl5000 performer or turbo. This is what I use for an antenna and I talk dx every day in my mobile. Good antennas for the money, don't ever skimp out on your antenna system it's the heart of your system, I would be more concerned about a good antenna system before I ever purchase a radio, I am not a big fan of the galaxy radios due to the drift issues they encounter, have am older 55v on the shelf, I like my uniden PC122xl and my magnum 257hp. Both are dead on frequency and both work well with my amp. JMO, do you homework and get a good antenna system, this means good antenna, coax and connnectors, use at least some good rg8x, I use lmr240 and lmr400 for all my jumpers from amp to radio. Believe me, you can have a 10,000 dollar radio, but it ain't shit without a good antenna system in front of it. Like I said, don't skimp out in this area as you will certainly not get the performance you want with a sub par antenna system, and as far as the radio goes, DOUGS CUSTOM CB 's is great and knows the 959 radio well, google some of his you tune vids. He will make that 959 right, just get a good tune and alignment, and have him work the receive as well. Again, this is all JMO. God bless.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (04-04-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I went ahead and ordered a base antenna tonight. I agree it is an important part of the system. Still need to order coax and a few other things. It's all good I might just keep using what I have for now and do some more looking first. Galaxy radios may have a few problems but I still like them. Now that I have two radios I am not in as big a hurry to order. So time is on my side again. Need to pick up mast pole and some washers to make guy points this week. Antenna should be here by next friday.

Thanks for you help everyone.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you can try having a tech set up the radio with the clarifier locked,, but those radios really drift bad and any temp change will throw the freq off. even just the radio warming up will change your freq. your better off having the clarifier opened up so no matter what you can be on freq with everyone else,, just tune the clarifier till everyone else sounds good then you know your transmitting on the same freq as them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to wi544 For This Useful Post:

stang (04-05-2014)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None