preps
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GainMaster

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Questions Please Help. I have never setup a base station before and need a little help please.

First when I get my new antenna I can set the SWR with the antenna lower down than it will be mounted? Second Will it have to be readjusted when I change radios? Third Both radios I have now have a 1 watt dead key and swing to around 18, do I set the SWR with just a dead key or modulating? Fourth is battery voltage going to be enough to get max power out of the radio? I ask because I have noticed in the Jeep that when the engine is off the signal during modulation is less than when the engine is running. Fifth do any jumpers need to be the exactly the same as the coax? I didn't think to order any LMR-400 jumpers.

I think that's it for now, but there will probably be more questions. Please feel free to mention anything else relevant and thank you very much for any help you can give.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You probably need a higher dead key for a proper swr reading, more around 3-4 watts, no modulation, if there is a mic gain on the radio, turn it all the way down. No you can use rg8x for jumpers. If you have any spare coax left from what you ordered, you can make jumpers from it as well. Remember unless you need every bit of the 100ft, you can cut some back and the swr reading will not change. Length is whatever reaches from point a to point b. Also if you are running directly off of a battery your wattage will be lower most likely as your car voltage normally is around 13.8-14.2v, a fully charged battery might read above 13 volts, but once under load the voltage will drop unlike in the car where the alternator supplies a constant voltage. And as for the antenna, I am unsure as I mounted mine above the roof next to my chimney low and tuned it. Then added more pipe sections. Swr didn't change. I am not a base station expert but I believe as long as you have it up somewhat and able to reach and have an open area you can tune the antenna. More people will chime in I am sure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks 222 I am a mechanic so pretty familiar with alternator charging. Plus that's how we recharged our battery bank before we got solar. Still do when it stays cloudy for to long. I was afraid of that with almost no dead key wattage. Need to see if I can get one of these radios back up on dead key. The guy who worked on the uniden is going to just love that. Oh well. Will a higher than 4w dead key carrier hurt? Was thinking I could run it out in the yard beside the house and get it on a single section of pipe (10 ft) to set. Think I should find a higher voltage power source. It does seem to make a difference. I just hate the thought of converting 12V to 120 v back down to 13.8 - 14.5 it's such a waste of power. Need to do some research and see if there isn't some kind of multiplier for DC to take my 12 V to 14 V . just what I need more research.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    already ordered mine paying much more but here is a gainmaster on ebay for 138
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sirio-Gain-M...item4864b2dc9e
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well good things do come fedex. lol My new antenna finally got here today.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finally got it part of the way up. 30 foot so far still a ways to go. Already working pretty well to. Talked to several people in the last hour. Now I need to see if I can get my laptop to work out there where the radio is.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Forgot to mention the SWR 's were 1.3:1 on 1,20, and 40 running the gainmaster strait out of the box and using 100 ft. of LMR-400
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sounds like its working well
    base-AR3500 ,palamar 250,d104 w/ 10da head ,sirio 2016,ll400 coax
    mobile-s.s. 3900, sirio z180 , astatic 636S.E

Visitors found this page by searching for

None