preps
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Texas Star DX350 Amp

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by NY714 View Post
    Depends on the pills in amp but Texas Star are known to be clean AB-1 Boxes for AM and SSB. as far as dead key and swing any straight 2,4,6 or 8 pill can easilt go 2-4 deadkey. Remember usually the lower the deadkey the better the audio. Then as far as swing depends again on how many pills, but a Texas Star 350 with 2x2879's would be fine swinging to 10-20 watts. Some people do swing 60-70 watts but you will see more on output but shorten life of amp, create alot more heat faster. Usually a must is to add a 4x4 fan on the heat sink anyway to keep cool. But in my opinion 10-20 watts on a swing with a 2 watt dead-key would sound great on a 350 Texas Star. Probably have to have a tech install a swing kit so you can go to a 2 watt deadkey and be able to swing to say 20 or even 30 watts. Stock radio will not usually be able to do that kind of swing, just to keep in mind.

PS - Only on amps when have driving pills in them, then have to be sure to run like 2 watt maximum or will blow up amp. That is why, I personally thing a straight pill box with no driver has alot more applications. Once you start with 1x2, 1x4, or higher with driver pills usually can only use a single final radio and again must run low deadkey like 2 watt maximum and low swing and let the box do the rest. Just one key forgetting to drop the RF Power down and hit a driver box with 4 watts or higher will blow up driver pill is common. Unless say a competition box that was specially designed for higher deadkey. Seen my friend blow up many Texas Star 667, which is a 1x4, and eventually just had the technician disable the driver pill and convert to a straight 4 pill box. Just My Opinion.
    Thanks for the great info. The radio I am planning to hook up with it has a 6 w dead key swinging about 18. found some info supposed to be from Texas star saying a 7 w dead key MAX. I don't know weather to take the radio and have it turned down or just let it go as is since it's not very high at 6w.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It always says that on web but would start with low dead key and work your way up with radio checks. Generally the lower the deadkey the better the audio, but it can swing up to higher watts. Deadkey is just key up with mic gain all the way down no modulation. Once the deadkey is adjusted hopefully can still whistle into mic and go from say 2 watts to 18 watts and let box do the rest and you audio should be awesome. But again use the 2 watt as a starting point and raise up 1 watt at a time and get audio check on loudness and clarity till you reach a sweet spot. Again might have to have a swing kit installed if when dial down to 2 watts and won't swing to the 18 watt point. Sometimes when lower deadkey it will in turn lower your total swing also, that is the purpose of the swing kit. For example my radio the RF Power only adjust the deakey 0-6 watts, I am always swing the same on total watts, but had to be modified for that, and also same swing on SSB if you talk there.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NY714 For This Useful Post:

stang (04-30-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Start low ! Heat is a killer and more in more heat ! Some sound better 1 to 2 w dead key 10w max swing... find the info to turn down the power cbtricks might show you how ?
    Give me a call on 38 LSB 27:385 one day... :-) How many pill's is too many ?

Solar Radio 351.... Tasmania, Australia.

.....Smile and enjoy life ...

" Most Southern Station in this Nation"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

stang (04-30-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks NY417,

Guess I need to learn how to adjust this uniden PC-122 . I did all the work on my cobra 29 after finding the info online. Not sure what kits etc are available for this uniden. Still keeping my eye open for a good radio to use for my base station so it looks like I'll get to go through all this one more time.

Good point I'll go check out cbtricks.com Thanks 351
    Last edited by stang; 04-30-2014 at 05:51 AM.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Amp got here today. They did a good job packing it up nice and safe. It is rough looking though. They did include all the new parts listed in the first post. I just dropped it off to have it checked out and new parts installed. Did have to get new light bulbs 1 was out so I stopped at napa and go 4 new ones. Gotta see if I can find some new power wires for it these have been cut & spliced. Which is no big deal but I would rather fix them right. Not sure weather it works correctly or not will know tonight I hope.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Amp works as they said. So good deal. Got to talk my first skip in 20 years last night and conditions were horrible. But had at least 20 people key up calling when I answered a guy from IL, 58 I think. I was amazed to hear everyone calling as no one has heard me in DX land until now.

On the down side my D-104 squeals bad when the amp is on. So now I have to see if it can be fixed. Has no problem without the extra power but with it is terrible. Any ideas?
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what I was told... Turn down mike gain to half ( on rig ) with mike down low turn on amp and chat away or whistle lift mike vol up till you get full modulation .. then only use mike gain on rig ?
    Try that mate thats what i was told apart from the obvious amp on desk next to mike.. sorry if my spelling is bad.. I switched it off phone problems again... ;-) 351
    Give me a call on 38 LSB 27:385 one day... :-) How many pill's is too many ?

Solar Radio 351.... Tasmania, Australia.

.....Smile and enjoy life ...

" Most Southern Station in this Nation"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to solarradio351 For This Useful Post:

stang (05-01-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by solarradio351 View Post
    This is what I was told... Turn down mike gain to half ( on rig ) with mike down low turn on amp and chat away or whistle lift mike vol up till you get full modulation .. then only use mike gain on rig ?
    Try that mate thats what i was told apart from the obvious amp on desk next to mike.. sorry if my spelling is bad.. I switched it off phone problems again... ;-) 351
    This little uniden doesn't have mic gain. tried turning it all the way down on mic still squealed like a stuck pig. lol But I put the stock mic on and no problem. I'll see if the D-104 can be fixed or modified to work with the amp.

Take it easy.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure why he invested in the new parts yet not test the amp..

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1233-Texas-Star-DX350-Amppage4

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1233-Texas-Star-DX350-Amp

texas star dx 350 owners manual

texas star dx350texas star amplifier catalogtexas star dx 350contentblown texas star dx 350 hdvtexas star dx 350hdv manualtexas star 350 amp review texas star 350 for saleTexas Star 350 plate4 pill amp dead keyTexas star amp user manualtexas star dx 350hdv relay switch for SSB