Quote Originally Posted by NY714 View Post
Depends on the pills in amp but Texas Star are known to be clean AB-1 Boxes for AM and SSB. as far as dead key and swing any straight 2,4,6 or 8 pill can easilt go 2-4 deadkey. Remember usually the lower the deadkey the better the audio. Then as far as swing depends again on how many pills, but a Texas Star 350 with 2x2879's would be fine swinging to 10-20 watts. Some people do swing 60-70 watts but you will see more on output but shorten life of amp, create alot more heat faster. Usually a must is to add a 4x4 fan on the heat sink anyway to keep cool. But in my opinion 10-20 watts on a swing with a 2 watt dead-key would sound great on a 350 Texas Star. Probably have to have a tech install a swing kit so you can go to a 2 watt deadkey and be able to swing to say 20 or even 30 watts. Stock radio will not usually be able to do that kind of swing, just to keep in mind.

PS - Only on amps when have driving pills in them, then have to be sure to run like 2 watt maximum or will blow up amp. That is why, I personally thing a straight pill box with no driver has alot more applications. Once you start with 1x2, 1x4, or higher with driver pills usually can only use a single final radio and again must run low deadkey like 2 watt maximum and low swing and let the box do the rest. Just one key forgetting to drop the RF Power down and hit a driver box with 4 watts or higher will blow up driver pill is common. Unless say a competition box that was specially designed for higher deadkey. Seen my friend blow up many Texas Star 667, which is a 1x4, and eventually just had the technician disable the driver pill and convert to a straight 4 pill box. Just My Opinion.
Thanks for the great info. The radio I am planning to hook up with it has a 6 w dead key swinging about 18. found some info supposed to be from Texas star saying a 7 w dead key MAX. I don't know weather to take the radio and have it turned down or just let it go as is since it's not very high at 6w.