preps

Thread: Linears and SSB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What class amps are they, bias a/b, b or class c. If they are class c amps they will sound bad on ssb. You need an amp with at least that is class b at least to run ssb. Check out xforce or TNT or Davemade, heck fat boy should know how to bias the amp for ssb use. But that is what it sounds like to me. Clean in equals clean out . Add a dirty signal anywhere in between will make for a dirty amplified signal. Most likely class c amps.
    Any way to open the amps and get a couple of photos of the inside, or at least a photo of the amps in question. Again I will say this, I would not use a class c bias amp as the signal is dirty, class b is normally the minimum that works on ssb, class a/b being even better. Some of the older palomar amps had a/b stamped on them but I don't know if they were real class a/b amps. If you have and bought the fatboy amp new, send it back and ask for the amp to have the bias properly set for ssb use. I use a magnaforce 350hd 2 transistor amp that was made by xforce a while back. It's a class b bias amp. Works well for ssb use and in have been told several times it sounds like a rolling base station. Go anything below class b and they sound like garbage on ssb. Send that fat boy amp back and ask for something that will work on ssb or send the amp to a good amp builder and let him properly bias the amp for at least class b operation, a/b would even be better, you may not see the same watts as the class c amp, but the output signal is cleaner. And like I said clean in equals clean out. Hope this helps and you get everything straightened out. God bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    What class amps are they, bias a/b, b or class c. If they are class c amps they will sound bad on ssb. You need an amp with at least that is class b at least to run ssb. Check out xforce or TNT or Davemade, heck fat boy should know how to bias the amp for ssb use. But that is what it sounds like to me. Clean in equals clean out . Add a dirty signal anywhere in between will make for a dirty amplified signal. Most likely class c amps.
    Any way to open the amps and get a couple of photos of the inside, or at least a photo of the amps in question. Again I will say this, I would not use a class c bias amp as the signal is dirty, class b is normally the minimum that works on ssb, class a/b being even better. Some of the older palomar amps had a/b stamped on them but I don't know if they were real class a/b amps. If you have and bought the fatboy amp new, send it back and ask for the amp to have the bias properly set for ssb use. I use a magnaforce 350hd 2 transistor amp that was made by xforce a while back. It's a class b bias amp. Works well for ssb use and in have been told several times it sounds like a rolling base station. Go anything below class b and they sound like garbage on ssb. Send that fat boy amp back and ask for something that will work on ssb or send the amp to a good amp builder and let him properly bias the amp for at least class b operation, a/b would even be better, you may not see the same watts as the class c amp, but the output signal is cleaner. And like I said clean in equals clean out. Hope this helps and you get everything straightened out. God bless.
    I'm borrowing this one from a friend who is letting me use it, and he never uses SSB, he's just an old man who talks on AM and told me to keep it and use it until he needed it again. I will open it up however and take a picture of the guts for you to see if you can learn anything about it. I don't know much about them. Will try to get the pic up later this evening I'm about to head out the door. Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't "know" that this is a Fatboy. He said it was, and it is in a silver box like most of the other Fatboy amps I've seen, but it doesn't say Fatboy on it, so I'm not certain.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None