preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linears and SSB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try backing off the SSB on the radio for less swing...I had to do that with my Cobra 2000 GTL so it wouldn't sound all choppy and over modulated...

Before, on SSB the 2000 was swinging about 20w's and sounded terrible with the Amp ON...Backed the SSB ALC pod back to where I was only swinging 8 to 9w's and now I sound crystal clear on SSB and with the Amp ON I'm seeing little over 200w's on SSB....Before the Amp was swinging 600+ watts, but sounded like garbage...This is a 1x3 tube box.

adjusting the ALC on SSB won't affect the AM side.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (04-12-2014), hotrod (02-02-2015), starman (04-18-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    There is a lot of work that goes into making a proper amp for use on ssb, you are indeed correct, and there are not many amp builders that can do it right.
    Ten-Four on that! A lot of companies can't do it right either. One company sells a "Class C" amp that works good on AM but sounds like crap on SSB.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Coming to your town there tallman , working in the Louisville area for the next few weeks, maybe we could meet. Anyway god bless and thanks for the reply. I know amp building is becoming a lost art and like you said the ones that are out there some are in it just for the money not the passion of the hobby. At that point quality usually takes a back seat to quantity.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to post an update, I've since changed linears altogether. I was going to buy that one, but the guy wanted more money than I was willing to pay, but I managed to trade for a better one. I believe the problem is just the increased output power at close range, because with this new box I've made several long distance contacts who complimented me on a strong signal with very clear audio.

I appreciate all the efforts to help me out, :-)

Looking at this post now, I never even realized that the 222DBFL who replied to this topic so much is the same one I've managed to make contact with the past 2 days, :P

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep that is me. Nothing special or big about my system, running the magnum 257hp with a magnaforce 350hd. Mic gain set to about 1/2-3/4. Works well or so I have been told. Thanks 323. My thanks goes to tallman for getting my radio right!! He is the man!! Anyway always a pleasure and will speak again soon mr. 323. God bless.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Gerowen (05-26-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If anybody is curious, the one I ended up trading for and keeping is a Power Deluxe 25A box. It plugs directly into a 110 AC outlet so I don't have to have a power supply, plus it has a built-in 25 amp power supply, however I'm running the radio off a separate 12 amp power supply because I noticed when I would talk on SSB, the radio's meter light would get a little dim like it was drawing a bit from the linear by both being powered by and running through the linear at the same time. Here's an updated pic of my setup.

Cobra 148 GTL (factory stock, no mods except replacement meter bulb)
    Cobra (Highgear) MG M75 Power Mic
    Cobra (Highgear) external speaker
    Pyramid PS14KX power supply (for the radio)
    Power Deluxe 25A linear
    Solarcon A-99 antenna (not shown)

Name:  setup.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  1.56 MB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am running an A99 with a pyrmamid ps12kx 10amp supply with my magnum 257hp in the house, no amp, just radio, works well too. Spend more time in my mobile as that is my get away for a few and I also work on the road quite a bit, so I spent more time on my mobile, not to say that the base isn't right, it works good as well, just don't have the extra power. 60-70 watts is what I get on ssb and my radio never gets hot. This is on the base setup, my mobile runs a bit more power pushing 75-90 watts on ssb. I keep a good brushless fan on all the time in the mobile. I have a fan on the base but don't have to use it much as the radio doesn't get warm as often. Anyway, again glad to speak to you 323 and will talk again soon!! God bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    I am running an A99 with a pyrmamid ps12kx 10amp supply with my magnum 257hp in the house, no amp, just radio, works well too. Spend more time in my mobile as that is my get away for a few and I also work on the road quite a bit, so I spent more time on my mobile, not to say that the base isn't right, it works good as well, just don't have the extra power. 60-70 watts is what I get on ssb and my radio never gets hot. This is on the base setup, my mobile runs a bit more power pushing 75-90 watts on ssb. I keep a good brushless fan on all the time in the mobile. I have a fan on the base but don't have to use it much as the radio doesn't get warm as often. Anyway, again glad to speak to you 323 and will talk again soon!! God bless.
    I used to run that antenna, would recommend going to 1/2 wave or .64 wave Imax 2000 with ground plane, will notice big difference over the A99 1/4 wave. Do some research and you will see what I mean. In a house you sound be safe up to a straight 4 pill amp as long as use good coax like Times Microwave (LMR-400) and a good grounding system (9 foot grounding rods into ground) and should bother the neighbors at all. Then you will notice much better on receive and big difference on transmit from base. Also depends how high your location is above sea level and how high you can mount the antenna off ground. The combination of those 2 heights also help.

In car run just a 1x2 that does almost 300-400 watts, but again in mobile can always move and get to a high spot and it acts as a 4 pill or higher depending where car is located. Especially going over a bridge is really fun, get out like crazy. Or if go by the ocean amazing how it acts as relector and get out all over. Just a few tips.

PS - Don't recommend for house the 1x4 or 2x4, people always blow them up very touch amps and have to use very low deadkey and swing. One mistake and poof you will blow up amp, where the straight 4,6,8 pills can never blow or should I say much harder. In my car use a single final old Cobra 148GTL which is very weak that was why went with the 1x2 which made huge difference from the straight 2 pill.
    Last edited by NY714; 05-27-2014 at 09:33 PM.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am getting a TNT 600hd soon, it's an older one with red dot toshiba 2879's. Been keyed up very few times and never over driven. It is my brother I laws, picking it up soon. Going to use the magnum 257hp with it in the mobile. Now I gotta talk the boss into drilling a hole!! Anyway god bless and thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And PS the amp mentioned above is for the Mobile. Going to get a larger supply for the house and use the magnaforce 2 pill at home. I am more interested in getting the 600hd right now though. Again thanks for the info. God bless.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None