preps
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Linears and SSB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also some food for thought is that power isn't everything. Modulation is very import and how you run the deadkey and swing from the radio. You could have a 2 pill set up right talk right over a 4 pill not running right deadkey and swing. Have to do the research, took me a while to realize that watts isn't always the key to a loud radio and heard many 300 watt radio talk over 500 watt radio's because they were matched correctly.

PS - Variable deadkey is a must in radio, Swing kit is also a must, & Modulation mod so your radio is capable of 100% modulation. Most stock radio will not have these abilities, so have to have the radio match the amp, in order to sound right. Just like a hot rod car that has 600 horsepower, if the transmission and rear doesn't match the car won't go fast.
    Last edited by NY714; 05-28-2014 at 05:35 AM.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NY714 For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (01-05-2015), stang (05-28-2014), Tallman (05-29-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No doubt there 714, I am running a 2 pill now and it works well. Even with a single final radio like the 980 uniden, which is no powerhouse, but sounds clean as the amp is not overdriven!! I use my magnum 257hp as well but do lower the power on ssb as it makes the amp get warm. I like keeping my electronics cool. And also by doing this, the life of my amp will be longer than if I were hammering it all day long. I like to talk and talk I do. I will say this in ending m, before you spend a bunch on a big amp, get a good antenna system setup!! Make sure your vehicle is bonded well. And make sure you have adequate power to supply a larger amp, I.E., power cable, ground and coax. Your antenna system should come first though IMO. God bless

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

NY714 (05-28-2014), stang (05-28-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I have learned so far I would say a good clean radio is the second most important thing next to a good antenna. Clean is mean and crap in = crap out.

I would like to be heard on the super bowl but I don't want to sound like a lot of the people I hear on the super bowl.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 856; 05-28-2014 at 08:26 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 856 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (05-28-2014), NY714 (05-28-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes sir, clean in equals clean out!!! No doubt about it.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    Yes sir, clean in equals clean out!!! No doubt about it.
    I have a radio here I got from a well known shop that sounds like crap. I have to constantly adjust the mic gain and it sounds over driven without the amp on. I also have a radio that I got from an unknown local shop that I can run everything wfo and sound great. Live and learn I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    No doubt there 714, I am running a 2 pill now and it works well. Even with a single final radio like the 980 uniden, which is no powerhouse, but sounds clean as the amp is not overdriven!! I use my magnum 257hp as well but do lower the power on ssb as it makes the amp get warm. I like keeping my electronics cool. And also by doing this, the life of my amp will be longer than if I were hammering it all day long. I like to talk and talk I do. I will say this in ending m, before you spend a bunch on a big amp, get a good antenna system setup!! Make sure your vehicle is bonded well. And make sure you have adequate power to supply a larger amp, I.E., power cable, ground and coax. Your antenna system should come first though IMO. God bless
    In general a 2 pill should be driven with a single final if a regular box like Texas Star. Those competitive boxes can handle a dual final like davemaid, x-force and fatboy. But just going to an Imax 2000 1/2 wave and a 4 pill with Times Microwave Coax you will notice night and day on transmission and receive. Don't feel need to go with a flat side big antenna or a metal antenna. In my area couldn't use those unless put up tower, the winds and gusts would take them right down that is why I stick to the .64 wave or 1/2 wave Imax 2000 with Ground kit. FYI.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 4 pill I am getting will be for my mobile. I already have times microwave lmr 400 to the house!! Lmr 240 for the mobile and all lmr400uf jumpers. Good stuff. I have no issues talking around the world right now. When conditions permit. I have my base setup with 3 10ft ground rods from work. And am using #2awg solid for grounding the pipes. Works well. I do know a little, I build cell sites for a living, and also trouble shoot them as well. Pays good but gotta travel a lot. Has it's perks though as when I am ready to step up I already have some ldf4 and din male connectors. For now the lmr400 does the job just fine though. Thanks for all the input ny714, it's very good info!! I have seen the .64 wave in action and they are sweet no doubt. My HOA is a POS and I have my a99 painted all black, the top section whip is black as well. Makes it a bit harder to see with all the trees out front. Gotta stick to the mobile for a bigger setup. It will come. I am in no rush as I already have everything I need, it's just a matter of putting back together. God bless and again thank you for all the info, you can always learn something new!!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    agreed that he is to close...1/4 mile...sounds like your splattering...probably sounds better from a distance..i recommend going on lsb on 38 and getting a long distance radio check.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rainman For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (01-05-2015)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None