preps

Thread: Guy wires

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Guy wires

Should antenna mast guy wires be coated or uncoated. I ask because I recently put my antenna up 30 ft without guy wires and it sounded good. It was so flimsy I took it back down and put it back with guy wires. Now it doesn't seem to work as well. So I am wondering if it's the guy wires causing this?

Any thoughts?
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You'll need to have them insulated somehow...Either coated guy wires or the plastic or glass egg shaped insulators at least at the pole end.

If not insulated, the wires become part of the ground plane and you might need to readjust your SWR...

I used this insulated wire from Texas Towers.
    http://www.texastowers.com/hptg1200i.htm

If you need something stronger, it comes in different ratings.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (04-29-2014), stang (04-29-2014), the caveman (04-29-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Jesse

I was wondering as my receive and Tx got worse after installing the guy wires (uncoated steel) SWR's are still flat though. Think I will tie in some short coated sections to disconnect the ground. I already bought 1,000 or so ft or this uncoated steel cable I hate not to use it.

Never mind just ran to local hardware going out of business got 600 ft of coated guy wire cheap now we get to go up & down again.

Thanks again Jesse I thought that was causing the problem.
    Last edited by stang; 04-29-2014 at 08:04 AM.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    using the coated guy wire, you'll need to use 4 U-Bolt cable ties...Since the wire has that plastic coating if you just use one cable tie, the wire can slip under stress...Also you will want to alternate how you attach them to the wire...The reason for alternating them is when you go to tighten up the U-Bolts it will crimp the wire, so by alternating the U-bolts it will make a zig-zag pattern in the guy wire which will also help reduce slipping...

Also be sure to use a "wire-guide", this is the U shaped metal ring which go's on the turnbuckle... This will keep the turnbuckle from rubbing the plastic off the guy wire, and keep it from breaking...

Here's a pic of one of my guy wires where I have it tied down...You only need to use turnbuckles at your anchor point...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks again Jesse

That's what I have but with only 2 U-bolts per cable. Since I am only running a stick antenna it should be fine. Now if I had your beams I might get worried.

I had thought the wire maybe interfering with the ground plane aspect of the antenna when I first noticed it wasn't working as well after putting the guy wires on. Glad you were able to confirm this. Now I just need enough hands to fix the problem and get the antenna up all the way.

Thanks a million
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Visitors found this page by searching for

None