preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coax Racommendation

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    Good coax and antenna and a five dollar radio can sound good. Cheap coax and antenna and a $1000 radio will sound like shit. LMR-400 Times microwave is worth the money.
    LMR 400 is over rated...I've used both LMR 400 and the CA 400, and if anything the CA 400 comes out on top, for several reasons (other than price)

The CA 400 is lighter in weight, and the outer jacket made of polyethylene sorta like PVC, only more flexible. which makes it perfect for burial if you need to go that route. It's UV resistant, and is built to withstand harsh temperatures, grease and oil, chemicals, salt water, abrasions and offers a 20 year plus lifespan...

What sold me on this coax was I talked to a couple of HAM guys in Florida that's been using it for years, and said that thayer's had been threw several Hurricanes, and since they live on the coast, where salt is a big problem, the salty air so far hasn't bothered the coax...

Don't get me wrong, LMR is very good quality coax, I was just pointing out that there are other alternatives to LMR 400 that's just as good, and in some ways better, and in some cases less expensive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

stang (05-16-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    jjd , what do you think of Davis Buty-Flex coax ?

http://www.davisrf.com/buryflex.php

and the wire mans #113 coax ?
    "Truly Direct Bury RG213 type coax, with water block and 20 year, impermeable, UV resistant, tough, scuff-proof jacket"

http://www.thewireman.com/coax.html

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    IMO, if burial of coax is needed, I would use some flex conduit at least to put it in. Keeps tree roots and such other things from poking a hole in the coax. I know that as a cell site installer (radio base station installer), it is recommended that all coax be put into flex conduit on outdoor installs these days. Even the ldf4-50a is being put into flex conduits now. Keeps the cable from getting burred up as well. Just some food for thought. I know it says direct burial, but I would put it in some flex conduit anyway, again JMO. I could probably list more reasons why, but think about it, and it makes sense.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-16-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the 15 better but the 10 looks like good stuff, never used it personally, always stuck with times microwave, 123 wireless, Andrew and occasionally some belden lmr400uf. I personally like the times microwave lmr400uf. But it's a matter of opinion. The coax you posted looks to be made well. I do like the braided center wire. But my heart is with times microwave, only because I have access to it and am not paying for it. I would look for something else if I was paying for it I suppose, but I know times microwave makes good coax and has been for a while.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-16-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    jjd , what do you think of Davis Buty-Flex coax ?

http://www.davisrf.com/buryflex.php

and the wire mans #113 coax ?
    "Truly Direct Bury RG213 type coax, with water block and 20 year, impermeable, UV resistant, tough, scuff-proof jacket"

http://www.thewireman.com/coax.html

never used either one of those, but the davis stuff sounds just like the CA 400...I did notice both of those cables have the polyethylene outer jacket tho...

I doubt if you was to bury these cables tree roots would bother it either...It's not like a water pipe, most likely roots would just shoot around the cable...However, if I was going to bury any cable, I would opt to run it threw PVC pipe anyway, not because of roots, but so if later I had to replace it, it's allot easier to just pull it out of a pipe, and feed a new cable back threw, rather than dig the back yard up again.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are correct JJD, I was just pointing out that burying the coax in PVC is always a good idea. There are a lot of reasons why, but you nailed perfect with just one, agreed, it will make life easier in the end, by running the coax In a PVC pipe. God bless.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None