preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Power

Now that I think I have my antenna sorted I want to get my power right. I am looking at a direct drop in replacement for my alternator that puts out 300 amps. How big of an amplifier could this alternator run?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I have seen 100 watts = roughly 10 amps at 12 VDC. That allows for a small margin of error 100 is probably closer to 8 amps at 12 vdc but I prefer to have a little wiggle room.

Hopefully those with more knowledge than I will chime in.

BTW most alternators will not maintain full output power and last very long. More like 70-75 % to last.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-28-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need some DC power? Check here: http://www.streetperformance.com/par...ternators.html
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 856 View Post
    Now that I think I have my antenna sorted I want to get my power right. I am looking at a direct drop in replacement for my alternator that puts out 300 amps. How big of an amplifier could this alternator run?

Without knowing what type of vehicle you have a direct drop in at 300 amps might not be feasible. How many watts are you thinking of running? If you a new to this radio hobby you might want to start small first and after you learn the ropes then go for the monster rigs. That's what I would do. If you go straight into the monster rigs it is going to cost you serious money and if you make a rookie mistake and smoke a bunch of transistors, that will be real costly too.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

NY714 (05-27-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Much better off using this company or website, but at keydowns all the big boys use this name alternator:

http://www.fatboyamp.com/store/c/24-Alternators.aspx

http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/alt_search.php

http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=97

http://www.ase-supply.com/category_s/139.htm
    Last edited by NY714; 05-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallman View Post
    Without knowing what type of vehicle you have a direct drop in at 300 amps might not be feasible. How many watts are you thinking of running? If you a new to this radio hobby you might want to start small first and after you learn the ropes then go for the monster rigs. That's what I would do. If you go straight into the monster rigs it is going to cost you serious money and if you make a rookie mistake and smoke a bunch of transistors, that will be real costly too.
    I have a 1x4. Was thinking of upgrading To a two pill and a 8 pill. I have already found the alternator. Just wondering if 300 amp alternator is enough.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a 1x4. Was thinking of upgrading To a two pill and a 8 pill. I have already found the alternator. Just wondering if 300 amp alternator is enough.

First you need to know how much power the car / truck needs to run correctly (with accessories). You can kinda guess the factory alternator was 2/3 used to run the car. So if you had a factory 150 amp alt figure 100 amps were already used you had 50 amps left. So you would think that would allow 200 for the radio amp etc. But remember an alternator won't last long doing more than 80% of it's rated draw on a regular basis. Second how much watt or amp draw is your radio system all combined. Total the two and you'll have your answer.

I live off grid and use alternators to recharge my battery banks when weather requires. Believe me I have a stack of burnt out alternators to back me up.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure on that, that is why keep small with just a 1x2 in car and stock alternator and battery is fine.

PS - Don't alway's believe what they rate the power on these amps. A 1x4 is not much better than just a straight 4 pill, and the straight 4 pill will last forever, as the ones with the drivers, if you make one mistake and drive it to hard it will blow up. The way they say the 1x4 will do those high power numbers is that they are running them at 16-20+ volts. Most of us are only using 13.5-14 volts. When you volt them up they put out alot more but shorten the life of the amp and if not set up right will blow the amp also. Do the research on the 1446,2290, and 2879 pills and you will see the most is about 100 watts a pill before your overdriving and saturating the pills.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by NY714 View Post
    Not sure on that, that is why keep small with just a 1x2 in car and stock alternator and battery is fine.

PS - Don't alway's believe what they rate the power on these amps. A 1x4 is not much better than just a straight 4 pill, and the straight 4 pill will last forever, as the ones with the drivers, if you make one mistake and drive it to hard it will blow up. The way they say the 1x4 will do those high power numbers is that they are running them at 16-20+ volts. Most of us are only using 13.5-14 volts. When you volt them up they put out alot more but shorten the life of the amp and if not set up right will blow the amp also. Do the research on the 1446,2290, and 2879 pills and you will see the most is about 100 watts a pill before your overdriving and saturating the pills.
    10-4. I got the 1x4 cheap from a buddy. I have been running it for a while now and really like the hobby. Now I'm just trying to get my shit right. I've learned a lot so far and I am trying to put what I have learned into practice. For example builders lie.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    10-4. I got the 1x4 cheap from a buddy. I have been running it for a while now and really like the hobby. Now I'm just trying to get my shit right. I've learned a lot so far and I am trying to put what I have learned into practice. For example builders lie.

Not that they lie? Have to understand the volting process.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None