preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for mag antenna

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

looking for mag antenna

I'm looking for a magnet mount antenna I can get off someone dirt cheap or for trade to get my mobile back up and running. Shoot me any offers. I might take a junker depending on its condition/problem.
    Caveman 195 waving a hand in Southern Indiana

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you looked on your local Craig's list? I find antennas and all sorts of stuff on there that people are giving away. Also may check the local goodwill store. Shipping an antenna will cost roughly 15-25 dollars depending on the weight and method of shipping. Not worth the effort for a junker antenna IMO.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

the caveman (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've checked Craig's list but nothing I want. I'll have to check good will.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't have any luck there hit me with a PM. I have one I could give you but you will have to come and pick it up.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (06-03-2014), the caveman (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by the caveman View Post
    I'm looking for a magnet mount antenna I can get off someone dirt cheap or for trade to get my mobile back up and running. Shoot me any offers. I might take a junker depending on its condition/problem.
    Remember the coax and the Antenna is the most important part of your system, wouldn't want dirt cheap junk or your radio system will not have good transmit and receive. Consider the Sirio Performer/Turbo 5000 with 145 Magnut Mount. Sometimes DNJ has sales and specials, even thought I prefer H&Y Electronics.

PS - Even a Wilson 5000 or lower depending on how many watts you are going to run. Even Ebay sometimes has people who buy and have to sell for personal reasons and are like new.
    Last edited by NY714; 06-03-2014 at 10:18 PM.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If I don't get ahold of on I will probably order a 3ft hustler or 3ft k30 mag mount. I'm just needing a small decent antenna to run a barefoot radio on.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Look at the sirio megawatt 4000 as well. The sirio line of antennas are pretty good. I own the performer 5000 and a mega watt 4000, both perform well. I use the pl145 mag mount. And I believe H&Y has the performer in stock. Don't waste your money on a k30, they are just a POS IMO. Bad design IMO, I had issues with water intrusion every time it rained and I never could get the darn antenna to tune worth a crap. Just my experience and opinion. Spend a little more and have a good antenna system. In the end its up to you, but remember your antenna System is the heart of your entire system. I will say this, you can have the best radio on the market, but without a good antenna system that top of the line radio might as well be a door stop. JMO. I would take tallman up on his offer and get the performer 5000. You won't be disappointed. With a K30 antenna you will be lucky to talk 5-10 miles. With the sirio antenna I have spoken up to 70 miles on ssb locally. This isn't common but 30 miles isn't out of reach with the performer antenna depending on the radio. Like I said in the end it's your system and you will be the one using it, so it's your decision. But if it were my hard earned money I wouldn't spend it on any of the k series antennas. The wilson antennas have been a let down for me as well as the quality of them has gone way down, find an older one that is pre barjan made and they are of better quality. Nowadays they are just not worth the money. Again this is JMO. Save a little and get a good antenna. You aren't going to be happy with a k30 I promise you that, they are hard to tune and have a narrow bandwidth as well. Like I said I couldn't get my k40 to tune under 1.5-1.7 swr. Same radio and vehicle with the sirio performer 5000 and pl145 mag mount and the swr readings for 1 were 1.1 and channel 40 1.15. This is right out of the box, no trimming of the whip. I cut 1/2" off and have just about a flat swr reading across the entire cb band and can go well beyond up or down in frequency without the swr reading being bad. Sorry for the long post but I feel that this is one of the most looked over part of a radio system.
    God bless and hope you get everything resolved.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (08-04-2015), NY714 (06-05-2014), stang (06-04-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any truck stop has name brand and cut rate antennas. I see Diesel brand antennas has a mag mount for $25.

Word of Wisdom. Only use a mag mount where the coax is laid as smooth as possible. Don't use a mag mount in place of a trunk mount. If you use a mag mount, the coax flops loose and gets pinched and damaged. The trunk lip mount has a frame that keeps the coax stable when opening and closing the trunk and keeps it from getting bent too much causing the SWR to go nutz as well. ebay has trunk lip "new/old" stock hustlers and such for a good price. I paid $35 free shipping for a hustler trunk lip just a month ago. You do have to look at ebay 3 times a day and be ready to jump on it. Things go fast. I lost a couple things I wanted by procrastinating for 30 minutes!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This thread is over one year old. If you knew Caveman you would know he has bought 20 different antennas, radios, and amplifiers since this was posted.
    Last edited by Tallman; 07-31-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

the caveman (08-02-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've done bought me 3 GOOD mag mounted antennas in the past couples months and I will say I am impressed with them there Mr. Grapeape. My SWR's stay low and consistent and coax only flops around when you don't install your antenna correctly. Also I've had some pretty good luck out of a K30 and uniden 510xl I have on my ladies car

Visitors found this page by searching for

None