preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp suggestions for big radio's

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Supposed to pick up a used texas star 500 tomorrow long as everything checks out with it. $200 seems like a pretty fair price for it. Guess I need to start looking for a six pill next. Or maybe not, might do better to just turn the radio(s) back down a bit and find another 4 pill. What 714, 222 and others have said I would rather not push anything to hard. I'm not after every possible watt just good clean talking and long life out of everything.

I'm not typically long winded so I think the 1000 CCA gold series battery I just put in the jeep with the 120 amp factory alternator will probably be okay, if it turns out not to be I do have a good alternator connection. There really isn't room for a second battery in the jeep. With two kids storage / carry space is at a premium.

I like the texas star amps because they sound clean and are ssb ready. I'm sure some of the others are as good or even better. But for basic communication and a bit of DXing not competition they seem to work well for me.

As soon as the other radio comes in I'll be rearranging everything. No since in moving things several times. Still debating hard mounting that 102" steel whip on the roof of the jeep and selling the wilson 1000 I bought a few months ago. That or getting one of the Sirio 5000 that can fold down without tools. Does anyone make a hard mount that can fold over the same way? Am I correct thinking a 102" SS whip is better than all the others?

My main goal here is for my mobile to be able to talk back to home base from 25-30 miles consistently. Far as the base goes I would like to reach out 75 miles or so. If I could make the mobile do the same I would love it but I think that would take more than I am willing to spend.
    That is a great price on Amp. Should be good with 125 Amp alternator and 1000CC Battery. But not my area of expertise. Someone else on forum may know if will be good. When you key up and radio and other electrical items in car go crazy, that should let you know. Basically the reason for second battery is for the amp to run by itself on second battery and the main battery would remain for the vehicle itself. Then when the second battery drained down to a certain point the 125 Amp alternator would just charge that one battery at a time, I believe. Sure someone else knows the exact details. I wanted to go with the straight 4 pill, but my 90 Amp would cut it, and even got the yellow top Optima Battery, Deep Cycle, I believe. But even when i key with my 1x2 notice change in idle, but nothing with radio or other electrical items.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NY714 For This Useful Post:

stang (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't been on during the day much lately, been on after dark and late at night to be honest. Got other things going on. But the 4 pill mobile is setup and running just been late at night before I take it out and talk. Only used it a couple times but it works!!! I will be back. God bless.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (06-05-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    714, 222, JJD

Thanks For the pointers. It does really help.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries man, I am just paying it forward as it is how I received it through good fellas on forums like this!! Glad you found what you wanted and will talk to you soon again. I just been real busy lately and haven't had much time for dx'ing. Anyway god bless and have fun with the new toys!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (06-06-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    714, 222, JJD

Thanks For the pointers. It does really help.
    I know just keep in mind for future, if want to run external amp better off with low power radio. If want to run just the radio with no jumpers and keep simple then go to the high powered radio's. And I still don't like the high powered radio because tend to heat up and cause problems, have to be careful with peak and tune to make sure that tech doesn't go to far up.

PS - Ever look at those fans, on the high powered radio's, they build in to keep the radio's cool, they are a joke.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NY714 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (06-06-2014), High Voltage Mobile NJ (07-15-2014), stang (06-07-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well picked up the amp the other day. It works pretty well as is but the pre amp is broke. The guy I bought it from told me before I got it. I ordered the new part needed yesterday.

Thanks for everyones help.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good deal stang, hope to hear you soon!! God bless.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (06-10-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Run only a cobra or a uniden radio in the mobile. do not run galaxy's , no connex's, no magnum's , or any other kind of export radio . lol lol lol way to much harmonics. junk and over priced.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Guess I must be lucky with my POS magnum 257hp and my optima mk3, I don't have any issues with either. And I have run a few amps in my day. I don't hot rod any of my radios. Could be why, and I also make sure they stay cool as well. But to each his own. God bless.

Visitors found this page by searching for

fatboy amps 8 pill price

davemade 1x4 vs. texas star dx500v