preps

Thread: Grounding Reduces Chance of Lightning?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Grounding Reduces Chance of Lightning?

I saw a science professor talking about how lightning rods actually reduce the chance of a lightning strike because they allow electrons on the ground to bleed off into the air over time, instead of forcing them to build up and build up until there's enough of a difference between the air and the ground to cause a lightning strike.

Here's my question. Since my antenna is grounded to a 6 foot steel roofing bolt (think rebar for a coal mine), does it serve a similar function and therefore reduce my chances of being struck by lightning? Is a CB antenna, if properly grounded, actually a tool by which you can "reduce" your chances of a lightning strike?
    Last edited by Gerowen; 06-10-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You need more than 1 ground rod for that to work properly, at least 3-4, the more the better and they need to be pounded all the way in!! Also it may work and I may not, a better soliton would be a proper surge arrestor, google polyphaser lightning arrestors for coax. Huber shcuner makes them as well as the other big companies like Andrew, Eupen and a few others. They look like this, and come in several different models and types, spend some money on a good one though IMO. Here are a couple of photos of an older one I have laying around
    They use n-male connectors, one make and one Female on this one, others may have both n-males or n females. Some use din connectors as well. These need to be grounded to either a ground bar or the screw on top can have a wire to a ground rod or rods. I have seen these work while inside a cell site shelter and lightning hit the tower, they make an awful buzzing sound, but as long as the building and tower are grounded correctly, they work!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

ARCHBISHOP (09-10-2014), stang (06-10-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    3 to 4 rods spaced 10 feet from each other.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 856 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (06-10-2014), NY714 (06-10-2014), stang (06-10-2014)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None