preps
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 2970 Shipped Out

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    Did you receive your radio yet stang?? I know FED-EX ground has been a turtle!! Will be ordering from closer to the house next time!! Hope all goes well and that the radio is working correctly upon receiving it. God bless and have fun with that new toy, I'm jealous lol. I wants a new radio too!! Anyway good day. 73's.
    You wouldn't want a hacked up one from RadioActive Radio's. They have been known to take out the quality parts and replace with much cheaper ones. If you do some research on them, besides what you pay for the radio, you could of bought 2 radio's tuned and peaked by professionals.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Believe me I will never buy into the super wack pack BS!!! I am hopeful that stang gets his radio and that it's working properly, as far as me getting another radio, next one is most likely going to be a Kenwood. TS-50 and antenna tuner. They come around every so often. I will find one. That's the one I would like to get next, but that is me!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not yet Fed Ex says monday we'll see. Thanks I'm a bit anxious myself.
    STANG
    .............​ 406
    ........................OUT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (06-12-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only reason I keep telling you to beware because is that you ordered a 2950 and they sent you already a 2970 will let you get out of sale and probably get 100% refund. Hopefully paid via credit card not debit card, or paypal. You wouldn't want a 2970 for base much better with a 2950 and separate amp matched to it. You can get alot more power and longevity, due to the 2970 has known overheating issues once tuned up. There is no recall or problem with the 2950's, Mike is just trying to satisfy another problem customer and offer you the 2970. Because you didn't oder the 2970, you are luckly and probably get 100% return. I can refer you to a shop in Dayton who can send you a 2950 that screams and an amplifier for less than the 2970 from RadioActive. Plus you would have in less than a week. He could explain all the crazyness that goes on in RadioActive. Again PM me and we can speak on phone and give you the details before to late.
    RCI-2950DX, 1978 Cobra 148 GTL Taiwan, SHURE526T MIC, Tug-8 With Astatic 10 DA Head, Astatic 575M6, ASTRON 70/20 AMP POWER SUPPLIES, IMAX 2000 W GROUND PLANE KIT. TIMES MICROWAVE LMR-400 COAX, RF CHOKES. DIAMOND SWR/POWER INLINE METER. 250 of Sea Level Under Me. Recent World Radio Member.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NY714 For This Useful Post:

stang (06-13-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep smells fishy to me as well, what 2970 is being sent is what is curious to me as the price difference in the 2 new one, the 2950 and 2970 are a bit different!! Over 100 dollars difference. Idk I would be wary are well, but if he can get the radio and it works properly, then he may not have made out too bad other than having the issue of adding power. With the 2970, you need a 6-8 transistor amp to use behind it as it's basically a 2 transistor amp by itself. The old ones used 2 2290 toshiba transistors if I am correct. Been a while. But with that said, a PROPERLY tuned and aligned 2970 coupled with a good antenna system should allow for world wide communication when conditions permit. If heat is as worry, add a real brushless fan like this to it and it will stay cool!!
    I use these fans on all my radios and they work well and the amp draw is next to nothing at .24 Amps. @ 12VDC. Good fans and well worth every penny IMO. Got a bunch of them from decommissioned cell sites and they will cut a finger tip off, ask me I know!! But anyway, wish you the best and hope that all is good in the end!! God bless and make sure to keep us posted, these type of stories help others with determining where to purchase and not to purchase. I am sorry that you are being given the run around, but it's the truth as there is no other issues with the 2950's other than some QC issues that a good tech will fix while he aligns the radio anyway. I just hope all works out well and you are happy as you are the one using the radio and in the end will be the one using it. Again good luck and god bless.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (06-13-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks again everyone Fedex says it should be here monday. So until then I wont know a thing.

Yep I love those little fans they also work well on power supplies and battery chargers.

Have a great weekend got to get working.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stang View Post
    Thanks again everyone Fedex says it should be here monday. So until then I wont know a thing.

Yep I love those little fans they also work well on power supplies and battery chargers.

Have a great weekend got to get working.
    But don't work good on a big talker on a 2970, had 2 friends blow up radio and had to tune it way down to keep cool. The cost alone is way to high anyway, sure above the $500 cost. Well see what happens on Monday and ask Mike about getting money back, if he jumps to the defensive would return it, or if he says no problem within 2 weeks consider if you like. Your only out is that you ordered the 2950 and he sent you the 2970, rarely will you get chance to get out of an order with Mike.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NY714 For This Useful Post:

stang (06-15-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The fan I posted is from a old Nextel cell site, I know what these fans out out as far as air flow and can tell you that with just 1 on my magnum 257hp, which gets HOT AS SHIT, that it never gets above 80-100 degrees, I rag chew and talk a lot of DX , and i have had the end of a couple fingers get chopped by these fans. They aren't the ones you buy at the rat shack, these were used to cool 800mhz radio base station equipment. I promise that 1 of these would cool the 2970 down if used Properly. With that said, all that I am hopeful for at this point is that the poster of the thread, STANG, gets a radio that works. I am like you ny714, I would have liked to have seen this go different and that stang would be receiving a 2950 so that an external amp can be used, I totally agree with you, but as far as cooling the 2970, I know what I have in the way of brushless fans and they are not some cheap bs from radio shack. These were used in actual radio base stations to cool the amplifiers and other components as well. They are a hell of a fan and have proven to be well built as I have had one in use for over a year, with daily use and this is after being in operation for 10+ years in a cell site. I was fortunate enough to get a few through my dealings with apron cell site trouble shooting work. Perks of the job. Heck I just found some lmr400 and lmr240 60ft sections brand new in the bag the other day, made by Andrew (commscope). But anyway, I am in agreement with you 100% about getting my money back if possible as he ordered the 2950 and now is getting a 2970 that most likely is an bolder version radio. I just can't see them sending a new 2970 as the cost difference is over 100 dollars. It sucks for stang as now he is getting screwed into a radio he didn't order!! But if he is happy (STANG), with the new radio then it's all null and void as in the end it's his radio and his decision as to whether he wants to keep it or return it. I would get the 2970 and take photos of it, both outside and inside the case as well if possible. Then I would use the radio to see if it's working properly and Go from there. I am totally with you as far as getting money back, but it's just not mine or your decision in the end. All we can do is try to provide accurate info and help our fellow forum members out of being screwed by BS companies such as the one that had created the issue we are speaking of. Of course this is all JMO, and we all are entitled to them!! On a different note, I heard you on 38LSB yesterday around 7pm or so, but the weather was sooo bad where I was I could not get out!! Don't know if you heard me but I did call your numbers. 222 in the mobile around central Florida. Anyway with all said and done, have a great Father's Day and god bless.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

stang (06-15-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys radio should be here tomorrow then we will see whats what. As far as cost goes it was right at $400 for the 2950 with the changes I wanted I agreed to accept an older radio with the amp as long as the price was the same. I didn't want an older radio in the first place but had the feeling I would be better off taking it than trying to fight it and get my money back.

So lets see what happens I still hope I get a good working radio and no trouble....

Happy Daddy day to all.
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it got here looks like a real piece of shit too. Has a galaxy bottom. It says 2970N2 on the front and Galaxy on the bottom. Nobs look generic just looks like junk. At this point I don't even really want to hook it up. But I will later tonight once it cools down some. I sure hope it works better than it looks.

UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    STANG
    .............​ 406

Visitors found this page by searching for

None