preps
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello from western North Carolina.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok. I got a question for y'all. Should I swap out the antenna I got for a 102" whip? I got the chance and wanted to know if its a smart idea. Let me know. Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes if you can get a good spring as well a 6" heavy duty spring or a 6" stud mount to make it 108" total, and also mount it in the center of the tool box as high as possible, you want the bottom of the antenna to be close to the roof line as possible, or try it where you have it mounted now and see what you get. Breedlove makes some good mounts. Might want to check them out. JMO don't skimp on the antenna system, it's the most viral part!!! And I promise will make a world of difference when done right. Again JMO. God bless

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna just start by hard mounting it to the spot it is now then move it and build it up as funds allow.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    222 is right. Got external with your amp. I have a 29 with an rfx kit here. You can fry an egg on it even with fans after a few keys.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    These darn newer MOSFET radios get hot fast, I have a stock uniden 980 that gets hot, I have installed a fan on it and it's stock lol. It's the components and not even having a heat sink. The rfx units get hot as well and have to be kept cool or they will drift. Just get an external amp and a good antenna system as well. Again the antenna system is going to be vital to the entire system, spend extra time here as it will benefit you in the end. As far as amps go a 2 pill Texas star 350hd, or similar will work well on both am and if I the future you want to get a radio with SSB, you already have an amp that will run clean on SSB as well. JMO. I am not too sure about the newer TNT amps, I have a new style one but it's a few years old and has toshiba 2879 transistors in it. Great amp!! And clean on transmit as well. But I would look for a an amp that is at least bias b. And again sorry to stress this, but get your antenna system setup right before moving forward. JMO. God bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Nctrojanhorse View Post
    Hey everybody. I'm from NC at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mnts. I've been talking on radios since I was old enough to speak. Dad was a trucker and we always had a base station at home. He finally retired and moved onto ham radios and I stayed on 11 mtrs.
    I have one of those but it has the name UNIDEN on it and it's AM/SSB. Ratshack radios are usually well made by companies that know what they are doing. I still have a bunch of RS equipment around here and they all work. Even my old TRC-47 works. I bought the TRC-47 just before the 40 channels came out. AM/SSB and 23 channels. It's still loud and proud. I worked a deal with the store manager to help him get rid of a bunch obsolete merchandise.

If you want to hang RFX on the back of your radio get the RFX-150. Four wires and no major mods to the main board. Get the Fan Kit and have it runn the entire time the radio is turned on. I also know where you can get the rarest SX-350. Also the RFX-175. I got connections.
    Last edited by Tallman; 07-02-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: added fan
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (07-02-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember Tallman running dual 102" whips on a vehicle we called The Orange Pumpkin! Breaka! Breaka! Lol!
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverado 996 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (07-04-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    An sx-350 sounds enticing Tallman, got me thinking about that one!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    O'boy!

I know it's not the correct sx350 Tallman is talking about. Lol!

http://www.ktm.com/us/mx/350-sx-f-eu...l#.U7eZEYm9LTo
    Last edited by Silverado 996; 07-05-2014 at 01:46 AM.
    Silverado 996 back in the woods and I'm gone!
    * Cobra 29LXLE *
    * Ranger 2970N2 * 5' FireStik FS-5 *
    * Uniden BearCat 12 watt spearker *

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, it is the one most adaptable to change, that survives"

- Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll take one of those any day as well!! Although I love my Yamaha's!! Been a while since I been on one. But man are they fun!!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None