preps
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: modulation pots

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your swr readings are a little high for an amp to be run, should be 1.3 max. Something is wrong with the radio if it keys 1 watt and only swings to 2 watts. And the connector issue may not show with no amp, less power. It's when you add power that these connectors go bad, been there done that. Get your swr reading as low as possible, it may be the radio like said above. If it's been tweaked by a golden screwdriver then who knows what the issue could be , can you post some photos of the inside of the radio as this may help with trouble shooing the issue. There are some very knowledgable guys here, but we need all the info you can give, photos of the inside of radio and a photo of the amp as well. Again, check all your coax jumper connections with an ohm meter to make sure that none are shorting. And check around on eBay, might find a good scope to use or even a good watt meter that has modulation setting, and not a dosy meter either!! If you are serious about the hobby, then spend the money and get the right equipment, I am in the same boat as you, I am now in the process of gathering the proper equipment to test my radios and make sure they are working correctly. The radio you have can be had for relativity cheap on eBay or Craigslist. Just have to look around. May be your cheapest soliton like booty monster has stated. I have picked those radios up for 15-30 dollars. Find an old side mic one and you will have a good one. Personally I would look into a uniden 980 for that amp, it's not a power house, but will push that amp just fine, to turn the dead key down on the 980 you can simply turn the power down some. Like I said it's not a power house, but has clean audio. Also I have the same type amp and it doesn't like much over 15 watts pep. It gets hot and starts to pinch the audio as well. That amp shouldn't need much to push it. Again these are all JMO. But I would look around for a good used one that hasn't been molested!! God bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok. So I have purchased a better meter than what I already have. I am going to spend some time Saturday trying to work out the kinks. Am still looking at replacements for the cobra. Will ask for more info after adjusting s.w.r. On Saturday.
    Gasman

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Replacement radio? What you looking for? am only or am and ssb. Have a couple of radios that are AM, cobra 25, and an old galaxy dx55. Both are unmolested. Just been tuned and aligned. No whack pack BS!! Might be interested in selling. Don't have to, but will to help another member.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

gasman (07-11-2014)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We'll I am going to be honest and embarrass myself. Recently (before I found this forum) I traded in my galaxy dx959 for a swp II connex 3300hp. (Oh the shame!!!). Luckily enough this connex seems to be working just fine. A little disappointed in its performance, thought it would get out a bit farther. Fm is a waste. 240 channels only use maybe a dozen channels on a.m. I am going to my first hamfest this weekend and I am going to look around. I did some research on the bearcat you mentioned earlier on in this thread, it's a nice radio but I'm not sure how I feel about the digital display. I like the old school analog meters. I plan on keeping the cobra 25 and attempting to "fix" it. What year is the 25 you have? Is the mic a front or side mount? Thanks again 222 for all of your help.
    Last edited by gasman; 07-11-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Gasman

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's an older one, pre china, can't dement if it's a side mic but I believe it's front mic. It has been tuned and aligned by a good tech with an oscilloscope and good meters. No limiters clipped. It deka have the carrier suppression installed and has a 2 watt dead key. I just don't use any of my AM only radios anymore. I also have a nice 29 lx le that had the final replaced with a 1969 final, but it has a stupid echo board installed. Still works well though. And last, my old galaxy 55 dx. Great AM radio. Good audio and no clipped limiters. Just tuned and aligned. Don't like having my radios hacked on!! My next radio is going to be a real one. Looking at the icom ic-7200. Next month is my bday!! Can't wait lol. I am a big kid!! Can't have enough radios! Anyway, god bless and have a great day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just had a look at that Icom. It's a really nice radio. I have ALOT of learning to do before I get into something like that. I am leaning toward something with at least am/ssb capability. Going to collect as much info as possible about ham radio at this ham fest on Sunday. Christmas is coming soon, haven't decided if I am gonna ask Santa for a BIG amp or an RCI 2995dx. Still have a little time to sort it out. Thanks again 222. Will post tomorrow results of my swr tune, see if maybe there is an issue with the mic on the cobra 25. Have a dumb question, I have an astatic power mic wired for an old 5 pin realistic radio, can I put a connector on it to fit the 4 pin cobra or does the mic need to be re-wired?
    Gasman

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mic most likely needs to be re- wired for 4 pin cobra. And with it being a power mic is the power external or does the mic get power from the radio, that might be what the 5th pin is for, 8v for powering the mic. If it has it's own battery than yes it should work but will need to be wired for the 4 pin cobra style mic's.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mic itself holds a 9v battery. When you say re-wire,does that mean changing just the connector or replacing the cord as well?
    Gasman

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just the connector.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Need to find out which is tx. Rx, ground and shield. Check Cbtricks for the schematic for that mic. May show what or how to wire it for 4 pin cobra.

Visitors found this page by searching for

what measures the dead key on the pdc2on theswr and power meter

uniden 980 modulation pot

voodoo audio modulation ssb radios settings