preps

Thread: New Guy from KC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Guy from KC

Hello everyone my name for a while is Mike. I recently acquired a small pickup truck and a very cheap price, I have been using it for work only and leaving it at my job. I have been tinkering around with it and basically restoring it. I'm just about finished with the project and now I feel like putting a CB in it. Its been about 30 years since I've had a cb. I do have a few questions on what I should buy I'm seeing Cobra 29s on the Internet for as low as $90 and also seeing very basic Cobras for $40. I also don't have a clue on what type of antenna to buy, I know back in the day and 102 was the way to go.I have a ton of other questions but I will ask them after I use the search function for a

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome to the show. Before you decide on a radio ask yourself some questions about what you want [extra channels, echo, budget and so on]. The old 102 is still the most rugged antenna out there but if looks are what you want there are also several others that perform as well and look better. As for the radio you may want to consider an export such as a connex or galaxy. Do you plan to run an amp at some point? Do you think you may want to get into competitions in the future? But unless you just want to say you have a radio stay away from the cobra 19s. If you want to talk they are ok, if you want to heard don't waste your money. Aside from being cheap and underpowered they are well known for jumping frequency among a myriad of other problems. After all there is a reason wal-mart has them for $35. My best advice is to do the homework and decide what you want from a radio before buying anything. And remember a $300 radio hooked to a $20 antenna becomes a $20 radio but also a $100-$150 radio hooked to a good antenna, properly grounded with good swr, r & x factors will out perform the most expensive radio and a cheap antenna. Don't skimp on the install either. Make sure to put a fuse AT THE BATTERY AND DONT USE THE CIGGARETTE LIGHTER to power anything larger than a uniden pro 510. If you are on a tight budget the uniden 510 isn't much more than a cobra 19 but much better made and it shows in the performance. I'll be glad to help if I can as far as questions and advice but there are others here whose knowledge far surpasses mine. Well that's all for now 73s from old two and three quarters halfwatt radio in south Mississippi
    QUACKA QUACKA FOR A MUD DUCK CHECK QUACK QUACK

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Halfwatt, I basically want a solid radio that I can talk on and be heard. I want to keep it as simple as possible, im not going to ever compete. I will absolutely setup as you suggested since I have also read the same suggestions from others. Im now looking at the Uniden 980 SSB , with a Sirio 5000 antenna.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey mike. I'm in Raytown. Just getting back into it after a 2 year hiatus. I have a 29LX you can look at to see if you like it. It has some mods done to it. It was in my daily driver but I never used it so I bought a Uniden 880 about two months ago. Someday I plan on setting up the Cobra on my basement.

I'm running a Sirio 5000 antenna.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Promodmerc
    I just picked up a Stryker SR955 HP, actually waiting for delivery should be here tomorrow. Im also going to get a Sirio5000 ,. Does your Sirio fold down or do you have to unscrew it? I will be setup in a few weeks since Im still working on my truck and do t have it on the road yet.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the Performer 5000 & which folds down. It can also be easily removed if need be.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahh very cool, that is what Im wanting. Thank you.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mike you should be happy with the sirio performer. Are you planning on a hard mount or mag mount? Hard mount works best, but the mag mount for the sirio performer 5000, the pl145 mag mount is a decent option as well. Has served me well for about 2yrs now.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Im planning on hard mount, at first I was going to mount it center of the roof but now Im leaning toward a pocket mount on the bed. I want to use the bed pocket toward the front on drivers side but I dont know if that makes the antenna to close to the cab.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you can go up top that's going to be the best place as far as all around rx and tx, you may have to move antenna slightly back from center to get the best results. This is where a mag mount can help before drilling. Good luck with whatever you decide and have fun! God Bless.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None