preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tran-max bf406

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    23 channel rado with SSB is pretty much useless for SSB, since people only talk on SSB on channels 35-40... mostly channel 38 lsb.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    JJD, you know more than I do about things, would he be able to get out to 40km on AM with a decent antenna setup and said radio or will he require some more power or different antenna? I was just giving him my experience with SSB as that is where I normally talk, not much on am other than the occasional dx.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    JJD, you know more than I do about things, would he be able to get out to 40km on AM with a decent antenna setup and said radio or will he require some more power or different antenna? I was just giving him my experience with SSB as that is where I normally talk, not much on am other than the occasional dx.
    40km is little over 24 miles...With something like a 5/8 ground plane antenna, on a 30' pole, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to talk that distance...

May not be able to talk that far during the day, if there's lot's of traffic, but after dark when things quieten down and the noise level drops, should be able to talk with no problem...On SSB, day or night shouldn't be a problem...But like i said, you really need a 40 channel radio for SSB to be a option since the upper channels is where people talk on ssb.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks JJD. I thought the same but am not a big AM person much anymore, SSB is what I use here as all the other locals around me do. And I agree a 23 channel radio is only going to be good for AM use as most if not all traffic is at or on 36-40 on SSB. Haven't heard very much on 16lsb in a long time. Anyway thanks for the reply and the help.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None