preps

Thread: ssb

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

ssb

Can anyone explain to me in laymen terms what is the difference between ex. Cobra 148 ssb radio
    and a Realistic HTX 100 10 METER SSB radio
    Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cobra transmits on 11 meters and the other 10 meters

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Dave
    Also can you tell me which band is better if any and why. I am planning on buying a radio but not sure what kind.
    I am hoping to talk greater distances and possibly get a technician license in the near future. I have been told the Cobra 148 ssb can get out there
    and I also heard the Realistic HTX 100 ssb is good. I have a Realistic TRC-57 with ssb but it only has the 23 channels and I can't get anyone clearly. I thought I was getting what I needed until it was pointed out to me that most of the traffic is on the higher channels. I will have to buy something else with 40 channels , it's too bad the TRC-57 is a sharp looking radio. Do you have any suggestions!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    10 Meter you will need a license, but there's allot more channels to talk on...The Cobra 148 is mostly just a CB that has SSB similar to what you have now, but with 40 channels, and like pointed out earlier to you, most only talk on channels 36-40 LSB...The upper SSB channels are not really used by anyone in the U.S....

One side note...IF your dead-set on a Realistic radio...If your planning on buying it "New" you better hurry up and make your purchase because chances are real good by this time next month "Radio Shack" will be going by way of the "doe-doe-bird!" They are fixing to close ALL their stores probably by end of the month...And when that happens, guess what will happen to the warranty on that new radio?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So you are suggesting I go the 10 meter route and perhaps pick up a used Realistic HTX 100 SSB!!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if your planning on getting your HAM license anyway, you may as well get a 10 Meter radio...

I take it going by your post, that this is going to be all "New" to you getting into 10 Meter and SSB...Going by that, if it were me, I would buy a New radio and not a Used one...Buying New, even if this is all going to be a new hobby, at least by getting a new radio, you shouldn't run into any surprises like getting someones hacked-up radio their trying to unload on some unsuspecting customer...

When you buy used, there's always a chance the radio may have issues...

Another thing, there's plenty of other brands of 10 Meter radios that IMO would be a better choice to buy New other than Radio Shacks brand...Seeing how Radio Shack is going to be totally out of business in just a few weeks, IMO it would be a gamble spending hundreds of dollars on one of their radios, and then if something go's wrong with it, there's no place to take it back to...

On the other hand, if you want to take the gamble, you might be able to get a good deal on a Realistic Radio in the next few weeks, as they liquidate their inventory...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Jesse is saying: 10 meter is in the Ham Radio band and requires a HAM License and not the CB band. The 11 meter is for CBers with no license. The Ham Radio bands you will need to look at ARRL.gov web site. 28.000 to 29.700 MHz. is the 10 meter band. If I am right having a 10meter radio and then alter it to 11meter is a no,no and leads to lost of equipment and fines or both. It is just not worth the time to study and pass the Ham Lic. and run the risk of lost of all the work and monies spent.
    Last edited by Jerry Berwanger; 02-03-2015 at 10:34 PM. Reason: wanted to add more data

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Berwanger For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (02-03-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After looking at Radio Shacks web site...I noticed they have quit selling "all" radios...They don't even have CB Radios listed anymore! WOW! Just a few months ago they still had quite a few CB's listed on their web site, nothing even CB related now...much less 10 Meter...

Just a few antenna's, mounts, and connectors...thats it!
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 02-03-2015 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you just type in radio you will get a couple results

Visitors found this page by searching for

fresno area cb ssb