preps

Thread: ldmos fet

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

ldmos fet

does anyone know anything about amps built with ldmos-fets ? pros and cons good or bad blf178xr and others thanks SEMPER FI

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    http://bbiamps.com/ talk to Luke . the best amplifier builder in the world taking radio to a new level .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks a lot High Voltage BBI amps is a big help

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looked at several BBi utoob videos. Sure doesn't take criticism well, Remarks not accepted. Sez he's from Idaho. Couldn't prove to me LDMOS rigs are less than laboratory scale money holes. BBi built a 40kW rig. The power supply operating behind a closed door was as near loud as a jet engine.
    He spoke of 2879 Pills are dinosaurs just after tube amps. Spoke of LDMOS
    [Ampleon BLF188XR LDMOS Transistors] were the future. Well here it is 7 years into the future and neither he nor anyone else, that I know of, have realized (commercialized) that future; for the average Joe. Apparently he only accepts Euros. Maybe he simple chooses to shilly-shally around FCC vise grips.

Did a shallow dive into a BLF188XR LDMOS and swagged a cost of a 1400W HF amp. The basic bare bones foundation without any bench top accoutrements (case and fittings) will run $500. Wouldn't know what a integrated 50V / 50A power supply would cost; a Volteq HY5050EX 50V, 50A PS can be had for another 750 - $1300. At which point I considered having a 15V variable, 200A power supply and deferred to the DaveMade M800 for less money, easily 1400W PEP, and its all dressed up to party.

Truth is, I've never known a more bad ass dinosaur than the one setup in my radio shack.
    Last edited by Alabama Buckeye; 03-20-2022 at 05:12 PM. Reason: bad ass dinisaur
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Visitors found this page by searching for

cobra 29 ltd classic mods