preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dual antennas

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile dual antennas

Hello Everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have two antennas that I would like to mount on my roof 1 homemade jpole and a 17.5 vertical?????
    Is it possible to use the two antennas and switch back and forth. I also have 2 radios President hr2510 and a Grant xl that I would like to be able to switch back and forth. There should be a way to do this without having to run 2 coaxial lines , at least I hope there is. I hope this is not dumb idea as I am new to this hobby and need a push in the right direction.
    Hope to hear from someone \ anyone soon
    Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SPRINTERLIGHT View Post

I have two antennas that I would like to mount on my roof 1 homemade jpole and a 17.5 vertical?????
    Is it possible to use the two antennas and switch back and forth. I also have 2 radios President hr2510 and a Grant xl that I would like to be able to switch back and forth. There should be a way to do this without having to run 2 coaxial lines , at least I hope there is. I hope this is not dumb idea as I am new to this hobby and need a push in the right direction.
    Thanks
    A coaxial switch is what you are looking for. I would be very very careful switching radios with them. You could send a full power signal right into the receive of the radio and smoke it.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK I don't want to smoke any radios. I still don't understand how you use two antennas without running another coaxial cable

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You have to have a coaxial cable for each antenna.(2) Those go in to the switch with one coax going to the radio.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Two cables is what I thought would work. Someone told me it could be done with one cable ( wisfhfull thinking )
    Thanks for the input Tallman

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can use the switch either way, 2 radios and 1 antenna or 2 antennas and 1 radio. Dawia makes a decent coax switch that is metal housed and takes unused coax direct to ground.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    You'll need two switchable spliters, then once hooked-up, just use the spliters to select which antenna you want to use with what radio your using at the time.

(Click to make bigger)

Name:  splitters.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  38.5 KB Name:  cs201.jpeg
Views: 61
Size:  19.2 KB
    Hope this helps. In the pic, radio A is using Antenna 2...Radio B and Antenna 1 are not in use, so only one radio and antenna can be used at one time in this configuration.
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 08-05-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

dual antennas

That is exactly what I was saying JJD!! Same exact coax splitter I recommended as well!! Good deal. This is exactly what you need and JJD even made a drawing to make it easy for you.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    so I still need to coaxial cables or climb up my tower and switch the splitter!!!!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    so I still need to coaxial cables or climb up my tower and switch the splitter!!!!!!
    You need a coax cable running up to each antenna YES...No way around that. The splitters can (and should be) at your station so all you have to do is reach up and flip the switch to the appropriate setting to connect the radio your using to the antenna your wanting to use...The splitters can be sitting on top of the radio or right beside them...Or tacked up on the wall behind your radios.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None