preps

Thread: New here

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

New here

New to the forum running a Barclay 980ssb in my f250, having a problem with my swr and calibrating my radio. I'm running an 8ft whip off the bed stakehole. I've ran a external ground wire and everything. And am still getting a high swr on both ends of the channels(1-40), unless the calibration is turned way down then I'm getting about a 1. If anybody has this radio or has some ideas to where my problem is I'd except all input. I bought the radio about 5 months ago now and haven't even gotten to start enjoying it

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry Bearcat

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Take some pictures of the antenna setup and share them here so we can take a look at it.

By high SWR, how high are we talking, 2, 3, or is the needle pegged out? Are you using 50 ohm coax? Is the antenna near the cab of the truck or back toward the tailgate? Is the insulator installed properly on the stud so that the radiating portion of the antenna, stud and coax isn't touching the metal of the truck? Having vertical pieces of metal close to the antenna can cause reflect, it's the equivalent of shielding your antenna and bouncing its own signals back at it. Also, if you have a multimeter, disconnect the coax from the antenna and the radio both, then check for continuity from end to end. Check to make sure that the shield has continuity all the way through, as well as the center conductor, but that there is no continuity between the shield and the center conductor. If there is continuity between the shield and center conductor while both ends are disconnected, then there's a problem with the coax.

Here's a photo of mine. I also run a 102 inch whip (8.5 feet) on my truck, but I drilled a 3/8" hole in the bed rail way back next to the tailgate so that the antenna itself is up above the bed, and far enough away from the vertical back side of the cab to prevent any reflection. I get an SWR of about 1.2 across the band with it mounted this way.

If it was a 1.5 or so, I would suggest just adding a 6 inch spring, but if it's higher than that there's something else going on.

Edit: Note, the other holes are from failed attempts at using a bracket and mounting it other ways before I just gave up and drilled a hole. Been running this way about 2 years now, :-)

Name:  truck-stud.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  897.3 KB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I made some adjustments and now I'm putting out at 1 swr on 1-20-40

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good to hear.

102 inch whip is, in my opinion, one of if not the best mobile antenna money can buy. I've talked well over 50 miles in mountainous country with a barefooted radio with mine. Enjoy your radio, :-)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None