preps

Thread: Good Set up?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good Set up?

Hi all,

I am new to the CB world and new to the forum. I have a Uniden pro 505xl with a standard 4 watt legal output. My question is: I bought a K30 300 watt magnetic mount antenna. Is this a good antenna to start with? I already returned a crappy 10 watt one because I only got about a quarter mile out of it. I am hoping to get 3-7 miles or even more if possible. If I tune the SWR down to as close as I can get to 1:1 on 10 watt and 100 watt settings, what kind of range (on average) should I be getting?

Regards,
    Bryan
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With that set-up, your only getting however many watts as the radio can produce...which is probably 3.5 to 4w's at dead key, and maybe swinging up around 8 or 9w's if it's stock right out of the box...

The Antenna can "Handle" up to 300w's, but it doesn't produce watts, it only radiates the watts coming out of the radio. (whatever that is)

To get more watts out of the set-up you would need to add a linear amplifier (which are illegal to use on the CB Band) ...however, it's sorta like "speeding" down the freeways...even tho it's illegal, lots of people still do it...

As far as the range go's, 2-5 miles is possible with what you have, but even then, there's lot's of stuff to take into consideration...

Your surroundings (hills, trees, buildings, rain, trucks...)
    Where you have your antenna mounted (roof being best)
    SWR setting (1.1-1.5 best)
    and "Mother Nature" (some days you can talk and hear people in other States, other days your lucky to hear the guy in front of you)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    With that set-up, your only getting however many watts as the radio can produce...which is probably 3.5 to 4w's at dead key, and maybe swinging up around 8 or 9w's if it's stock right out of the box...

The Antenna can "Handle" up to 300w's, but it doesn't produce watts, it only radiates the watts coming out of the radio. (whatever that is)

To get more watts out of the set-up you would need to add a linear amplifier (which are illegal to use on the CB Band) ...however, it's sorta like "speeding" down the freeways...even tho it's illegal, lots of people still do it...

As far as the range go's, 2-5 miles is possible with what you have, but even then, there's lot's of stuff to take into consideration...

Your surroundings (hills, trees, buildings, rain, trucks...)
    Where you have your antenna mounted (roof being best)
    SWR setting (1.1-1.5 best)
    and "Mother Nature" (some days you can talk and hear people in other States, other days your lucky to hear the guy in front of you)

I see, thanks for your input. I will be mounting on the very back center of the roof of my car. Its a low profile vehicle. 2009 Honda civic coupe. I might even mount on the trunk. But I will most likely stick to the roof as this is best. Thanks for your help!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None