preps
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need CB antenna idea for 2012 Honda Pilot

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On another forum there is an antenna discussion and a guy is recommending Larsen NMO-27 mount with a whip of 42 inches. With an NMO, it is easy to remove when needed and can be replaced if it gets damaged from hitting trees.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need CB antenna idea for 2012 Honda Pilot

A 42" antenna is about as good as a dummy load or like a coat hanger. You won't talk more than a couples miles if that. 42" is a 3ft 6" whip. No way physically can it work even remotely close to what the sirio or even the Wilson 5000's can. Yes an NMO mount could possibly be used if it's not larger than the 1.5" as to fit into a ridge on center of vehicle. If you want to talk any distance an antenna of at least 5+ ft is what you need. Remember a 1/4 wave cb antenna is 108". That is just about 3 times the size of what you are talking about. And I understand all about hitting trees and such. My last setup was at 9ft at the roof on an Nissan NV high back work van. I used a sirio 5000 and the PL145 mag mount. Replaced coax with LMR240. At the tip it was about 15.5ft. It hit everything and it would bend the tip a bit. It bends right back into place no issues. If you're not going to be this high then you need not worry too much about smacking limbs and such. I hit just about everything you can think of. But boy did it talk. I was able to hold conversation while doing 75mph for over 40 miles no problem on SSB. I talked more dx in that van than on my base setup. And my base isn't a slouch. Icom 746, sirio tornado antenna, DC grounded properly, dipole at 25ft, a long wire for 144mhz vhf as well. I am only speaking from experience when it comes to antenna length. I started with a Wilson 500. It was 3ft tall. I quickly replaced it with a k40, from there was a Wilson 5000 and then the sirio performer. The sirio antenna worked the best as it was the tallest antenna. Also NMO mounts aren't rated for more than s couple hundred watts. Not sure if you ever want to use an amp but I would not with an NMO. Your antenna is what is going to determine how well your radio works. Don't skimp out in this area. Even if you don't go with a sirio, if you're wanting to just talk to other truckers close to you on channel 19 then yes the NMO mount and the 42" antenna will let you do that. But beyond that, no way!! Like I said, height is might when it comes to getting your signal out and receiving signals as well. It's all about what you are wanting to do with it and if you are planning on getting back into cb or not. AM is not really active much other than the big 3, channel 6, 11, & 28. Sometimes you'll hear guys on 20, but most locals don't run am much anymore. SSB is popular though. Also not many truckers using cb radios these days either. You may find this out when trying to get a radio check depending on where you are located. Like I said, I've no clue how serious you are about all of this but why drill a hole for a 42" antenna that is only going to talk maybe 2-3 miles tops on a great day. If the dx is rolling on channel 19 might as well turn off the radio, you won't get heard much if you aren't right on top of the other station or you get very lucky and get a dx contact. And I mean very lucky. This is JMHO. If you plan to get back into the radio thing, find a good SSB radio. The uniden 980 is 107 dollars new on Amazon. Great little radios and are AM/SSB. Have weather as well. And get the tallest antenna you can and best mount you can as well as coax and connectors. This will ensure you are able to talk a few more miles even on AM. And you can make SSB contacts on 12 watts when the conditions are decent. Not saying it can't be done on 4 watts AM, but just less likely IMO. Hope this helps and whatever you decide have fun with. Have a good one.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK I'll get the Sirio 5000 Performer. I was just looking for something that would be short enough to fit in the garage without a lot of hassle but in the end, performance is the price. I just need to know if it should be mounted in the groove of the roof or on the 6' wide flat portion (as close to center as possible). I've messaged the admin asking him what happened to the pictures we posted...they have turned into links which are dead.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You may have to check some different mounts out. You want Antenna to be dead center like the GPS One at the rear. How much room from front of roof to ridges and it is flat? Could use that area if it's flat. As long as you have a decent amount of metal under the antenna. Going off center you can do but will look funny IMO. Might try the sirio mount and shave it down a bit and add some bracing on the underside. That or go toward front of roof.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those grooves run all the way up to the sunroof which starts at the back of the drivers seat.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You may have to custom make a mount for that roof. Or contact Breedlove and ask if there are any mounts made that will work. They should have an answer. Im stumped for a mount to keep it center of vehicle. Only other thing I can think of is a quad mag mount. But they require mait. Occasionally.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you seen the K9000TM Motorized Mount? http://www.diamondantenna.net/k9000tm.html

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can only place a 45" antenna on it. That is less than 4ft. Not very efficient. For 11 meter cb band you need about 108" total for an antenna. A base coil antenna like the sirio performer uses a wire coil to make up the difference from its 6.5ft to 108". The shorter the antenna the less rx/tx capabilities will be. So get as tall an antenna as possible. Physically tall not with the aid of the motor you posted as you need a no ground plane type antenna and it can only be 45" tall max. Again not very efficient and will not make up for real physical length of antenna. Like I said at cb band your antenna needs to be about 108" for a 1/4 wave mobile antenna. A lot run 102" whips with a 5-6" spring and ball mount. The sirio is about the next best thing I've used that is not a large coil type antenna at 8ft tall. Your ridges on the top of the truck are bad for mounting an antenna unless they make a mount specifically for that. You might call one of the manufactures like Breedlove and see what they say. They might have something that will work for your setup. Maybe a 4 hole mount that can be offset mounted and get the middle of mount in middle of ridge. Again, just trying to think of ways to help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm trying to figure out how to mount a Sirio 5000 Turbo and be able to reach it so I can lower it every time I pull into my garage. If I have to open the back door, climb up on the seat and reach the antenna twice a day especially in the winter, it's going to suck. There has to be a way for me to reach this thing a little easier. The SUV is approximatley 6'2" off the ground and if it is mounted in the middle of the roof, it will be quite a reach to lower it

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't mount it in center. Mount it about 18" off of rear of roof. This way it's not too hard to get to and most antennas seem to tune better more front or back rather then dead center. If you can get it to 12" off the rear of roof that is about the closest I would go. Maury going toward the back you may notice a bit of directional ability. Facing forward with the antenna at the back will send your signal out the front better then the rear. Same goes for the front if mounted there the rear will be a stronger signal in/out. Not much but it may be noticeable some. Where I had my antenna mounted on a 4 door Jeep Cherokee was about 12"-18" off the rear of roof. It was a talker out of the front man. The back wasn't bad just not as good as the front. Side to side didn't make any difference as it was still center of truck side to side.

Visitors found this page by searching for

cb antenna honda pilot

cb antenna mount honda pilot