preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just put up a sirio NV4K

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You took it down for the hurricane? Been nice if you left it up to test how well they handle high winds! lol

Then you would have a good excuse to buy a tower and beem if it turned into a pretzel...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (10-17-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just put up a sirio NV4K

I wish JJD!! Would love to have a nice beam antenna. I live in Daytona Beach and we had winds of up to 100+ mph. It took down local pals 85ft tower. So I don't think my Sirio vector would have made it!! Glad I took it down. It is a good antenna for my needs. Not to say that I wouldn't love a beam antenna setup. Just too many other obligations I have to afford one at the moment. 4 kids keep me broke LOL!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    I wish JJD!! Would love to have a nice beam antenna. I live in Daytona Beach and we had winds of up to 100+ mph. It took down local pals 85ft tower. So I don't think my Sirio vector would have made it!! Glad I took it down. It is a good antenna for my needs. Not to say that I wouldn't love a beam antenna setup. Just too many other obligations I have to afford one at the moment. 4 kids keep me broke LOL!!
    You don't need 4 kids to stay broke now days...It's just me and my daughter now at home, and I stay broke all the time!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (10-17-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    (snip)I am no antenna expert and went on the advice of someone when I got the Sirio vector 4000 and I am darn happy I did.(snip)
    I'm awfully curious, maybe I know the guy, who was it that recommended it to you 222DbFL, and did you ever get the NV4K back up and higher?
    It's been almost a year, how goes it, is it still working great?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    great antenna ! it's only pitfall is it's physical durability . made one of my own but MUCH more durable a few years ago . hope to be moving soon and putting my stuff back up in a few months .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did not place my antenna back up all the way. I did make sure it was still tuned after having taken it down for Hurricane Matthew, and I also replaced coax with LDF4-50a and a short run of FSJ4-50B or 1/2 “ super flex to my radio room. Used brass UHF connector at feed point and ran coax out. Prepared to place antenna back up just recently, then came Irma. Needless to say antenna came back into the garage. It’s back out again, sitting roughly 6-7ft off the ground. I can still talk with it if I want to, but I need to get it mounted on the push up pole to 30+ feet. I was very happy with the antenna when I had it up at 27ft to the feed point. It rocked!! Getting it close to 35ft will help a bit I am sure. Locally anyways. But they do need to be beefed up and some mods to be made for them to last any time in any type of environment that can be potentially harsh. Central FL, 4 miles from the beach isn’t what I would call the best location for one of these antennas. Unless you plan on modding it as was said by BOOTY MONSTER. He knows more about this antenna then I ever will!!!! They do work well for local and DX when they are setup correctly. I know what mine was capable of, but I also modded mine a bit for the wind and also rain as well. But again, if you put some time into one, you can have a darn good vertical antenna antenna for local and DX. JMHO.
    I just have had too many other things going at the moment to have time for radio of any kind. Suppose to have gotten my ticket and that hasn’t happened. With a father with Alzheimer’s, and being part of the main care taking, I don’t get a lot of play time at the moment. But I could care less as I wouldn’t want my kids to abounded me when I need them the most!!! And I won’t do it to my father. He is still well enough to stay at home and we will grant that until we cannot!!!! That is what family does. Anyways. To all that know me, thanks for keeping in touch from time to time, I appreciate it. Until I get back on the radio,
    73 and God Bless To All,
    From 222 Daytona Beach, FL!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info, both.
    I'm putting one in a 115' tree this Sunday but before I do I plan to use my friend's table saw and slit the top 3" of each section of the tubing, right through the screw holes, and use 2-3 clamps per section to hold each section of the main shaft together.
    Any other mods you guys advise?
    I just compared it to my interceptor10k and it is better performing, i just wish it was built as well.
    Funny, I'm also using Andrews LDF4-50a a friend gave me that he got when he worked there and was given a truckload of stuff when they went OOB.
    Last edited by JAF0; 10-02-2017 at 03:38 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JAF0 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (10-03-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are going to place one that high up, I would make sure it’s beefed up as much as possible. Every joint needs to be beefed up as well as the basket area. If you get this antenna to hold up at that height, you’ll have one heck of a vertical antenna!!! Should talk locally a long ways!! Good luck to you and be safe!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i wound up making my own clamps because hose rings kept stripping out long befor i felt they were tight enough . i made mine out of 1/16 x 1/2 inch wide aluminum strip from lowes with #8 nuts and bolts (SS is soft and strips too easily for my taste) . a bit of a pain in the ass because each one had to be sized for each different tubing diameter joining section but well worth the end results IMO .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (10-07-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF0 View Post
    Good info, both.
    I'm putting one in a 115' tree this Sunday but before I do I plan to use my friend's table saw and slit the top 3" of each section of the tubing, right through the screw holes, and use 2-3 clamps per section to hold each section of the main shaft together.
    Any other mods you guys advise?
    I just compared it to my interceptor10k and it is better performing, i just wish it was built as well.
    Funny, I'm also using Andrews LDF4-50a a friend gave me that he got when he worked there and was given a truckload of stuff when they went OOB.
    wow ! 115 feet should be awesome for any antenna ! . can you share your experience comparing Jays antenna to the NV4K ? what you liked and disliked about each and their performance differences . thanks .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (10-07-2017)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None