preps
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just put up a sirio NV4K

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hi friend lovely ant i have the older type avanti sigma 4 home built .i made myself.plannig to buy one of the vector 4000 soon.where did your boss buy it.i know where it sell but maybe i can get a little cheaper than ebay or amazon .
    Last edited by source; 10-18-2017 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    222 you've had this up in Fla. for 2 years now and we know Fla gets high winds and hurricanes . how has your vector held up physically ? and can you guesstimate how high the winds are that it has survived ? do you lower it during storms to protect it ? have you had any damage or any little things you've had to tighten up or reinforce ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It has been lowered since last year Booty Monster. I took it down before the hurricane Matthew hit. Had intentions to put it back up but other things came about. It sits in the back yard at the moment about 4 feet of the ground. I have a 40fr push up pole that one day I’ll hopefully get to put it on and get it back up.
    As for winds, I would say the strongest winds my vector 4000 saw was 30-40 mph sustained winds. Maybe a fuse of 50 mph. And that was when it was only 27ft off the ground. I had the mast pipe guyed off pretty good so only the antenna and top 4-6ft of mast pipe actually bent in the wind. The antenna held up, but it sure was at its point of almost being an issue at 27ft off the ground to the base of the antenna. I am planning on getting it up to about 30-35 feet with the push up pole. This should be plenty high enough for both good local and DX as well. I was pretty consistent out to 60-70 miles on SSB locally. And if I could hear them I could talk to them.
    But as I and both you have most likely seen and noted, this antenna isn’t for a windy area IMO. Fair weather with the occasional bad T-storm and it should be fine if guyed or mounted properly. That or build a beefed up one. I do love the antenna and God willing I’ll have it back up again one day. Sorry for the text wall, just sharing my experience and thoughts/opinions, on the antenna. What you think? You see about the same results? I would like to possibly buy another one in the future aka beef it up, but truly it needs to be made with heavier gauge aluminum. JMHO. Have a good one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (01-18-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As for reinforcing it, all I added was heat shrink to all the joints. Don’t think it really did a whole lot for beefing things up. But I don’t know any different as I did this from the get go.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (01-18-2018)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None