preps
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use bolt cutters or even a grinder or disc grinder with a metal cut off wheel. Bolt cutters work well and then I take the grinder and make it nice and flat. Remember to mark each cut and only cut 1/8" at at time. It might take a couple more cuts, but you won't risk going to short!! You'll get some conditions soon. It will come. Take your time. I just listened for a few weeks and then made my first contact to 696 needle bender out west. I was hooked after that!! You'll see what I mean when Mother Nature opens the dx door for your area. It will come!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Optima mk3.
    Stryker 955hp
    Lincoln 2 ver. 3
    Uniden grant 2

So I have been looking at reviews on these radios and maybe they are all above my level at this time. As I have stated I am not a fan of the Push Button / Menu interface with some of these radios.

1st the Optima seems to be way above my understanding a this time and has many options that I would not possibly be able to grasp the use of any time soon.

2nd the Stryker seems to be much more up my alley with the knobs and switches controls. Yes it has some menu items but it is flip the switch, set the control and you’re done. It also has some ability with a computer program that over time I may be able to get an idea as to how to use in a couple of aspects but overall seems to be what I would want in a radio.

3rd & 4th the Lincoln 2 v3 and Uniden Grant also more push button and menu driven.

In a vehicle / mobile setting the knob and switch radio seems to be the way to go at least for me. My question is-

Are the Galaxy Radios really all that bad? The reviews are good on them. The 959 / 979 are the ones made for CB and SSB use while the likes of the DX33HP2 are a different animal and much like the Stryker 955hp.

Not that I am going to do anything right now. I just think the 980SSB is better suited as a base unit where fiddling with buttons and menus is not an issue. But the Galaxy 2547 looks interesting so who knows, just thinking right now.
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-18-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you read the review of the Stryker on cbradiomagazine.com?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another NOOB

Get the optima mk3. Best out of all the radios you listed IMO. I've had one for about 3yrs and it is still running strong as the day I got it. If you buy one, get it directly from Yeticom or survival systems.com. Yes they are in New Zealand, but the radio is coming from the only authorized dealer of the optima mk3. They perform some extra work and also add a Better mic than the small phantom stock mic. Worth every penny of the $300 for this radio. Ask around and read the reviews of all of them and you'll see the optima mk3 rise to the top.
    Stay away from the Galaxy radios if you plan on using SSB a lot. They drift on SSB. They always have and idk what others say, I've heard way too many off freq Galaxy 959's and such. They just aren't that good on SSB. JMO. The optima mk3 is made for SSB and is probably the best SSB export radio made. They do okay on AM, but they really shine on SSB!! Stable as a rock and they are actually very easy to use once you understand them a bit. Been reading about some QC issues with the strkyer 955hp's and the Lincoln 2 or grant don't hold a candle to the optima mk3. People time after time have admitted that the optima is just a better radio. Read around and really research the radios you have listed and you'll see the optima mk3 is the easiest radio to use out of all of the ones listed above. But hey don't beleive me, do some good research and you'll see for yourself. Good day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does the Optimo show channel numbers on the AM band or does it show frequencies? If not, are the frequencies easy to remember once you've been using for a while?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Buckeye View Post
    Welcome!
    Hi, Buckeye

Welcome

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clubguy View Post
    Does the Optimo show channel numbers on the AM band or does it show frequencies? If not, are the frequencies easy to remember once you've been using for a while?
    I noted this also and I am sure once you learn the different frequencies by number it's a snap. I am also sure I can find a list to print out but I am looking at mobile use and that is a drawback for quick easy changes while on the move. Switches and Knobs, I can get a feel for what switch is where and muscle memory will kick in sooner or later.

Although I do agree buying the most advanced radio would put an end to what radio to buy. I think placement would be a bigger issue in my personal mobile situation. The button and menu aspect does not appeal to me.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Check out the General Lee or General Longstreet radios on cbradiomagazine.com if you are intersted in the more traditional/functional radios.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Radio...r%20radio.html

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Radio%20R...ongstreet.html

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea, I have looked at the General radios. I guess to the best of my understanding is that all of the radios listed and the General radios are really Ham radios that have to be modified to work on CB Channels.

This may or may not be true of the Galaxy 959 / 979 radio or at least it seems they come out of the box ready for CB Channels.
    I think I would like to have a mobile SSB radio and the Uniden 980SSB has the features but not the control interface of my liking. It seems that they used to make them but are moving away from the Knobs and Switches to push button / menu processor controlled interface. The Galaxy 959B is pretty much exactly what I would want. I may decide to take another route but for now I am going to concentrate on getting a base antenna set up and move the 980 in the house. I may pick up a Uniden 787 CB (if they would make it SSB capable it would be prefect) to put in my work truck while I work on a way to install a radio in my other truck without putting holes everywhere, I have a plan.
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-20-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None