preps
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clubguy View Post
    I don't think soldering the wire back together will help with your output or clarity. From my research, I would say the cut wire opens up the 10 meter band which includes the "free band" in the 28 mhz range. The "free band" is not really free, it is a no-no to broadcast on it until the FCC approves it for use. The cut wire will also give you access to the ham band. Don't talk on that without a license.

As for clarity and power, don't over modulate your voice and you should be able to be heard just fine. I'm sure the tech increased your power output from 2.5 watts to 5 watts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    And this is why I need education. I have watched a few You Tube Videos on this radio but have seen none so far cutting a wire.

I did however go by my Mom and Dads this afternoon on the way home from work and dug out some of pop's old radios. I brought home a Johnson Messenger 23 channel radio and a couple of old antennas. I found the Johnson White Face Base Station he has but did not bring it home.......... Yet.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are no freeband channels on a cobra 29LTD. Or am I totally missing something?? Read the entire fire post. He says the guy turned a pot and clipped a wire. Now does this sound like a qualified tech or a truck stop special?? We are speaking about a Cobra 29LTD, not an export radio here. No need to clip any wires on a cobra 29ltd. All that is needed is an alignment and get 100% modulation without having negative peaks on an oscilloscope. Now with that said. What type of equipment for tuning and aligning radios did the tech that did the work on the posters Cobra 29LTD?? Bet it was a DOSY meter and a screwdriver and pair of dykes. He probably cut D11 which controls the AMC. Now you have to adjust the mic gain to get the proper modulation without knowing if it's at 100% or more/less and if he sounds like total shit or not. The other thing he did was to turn the modulation up, and who knows what else to get some more watts out of it. But hey, I am just a dumb CB'er, what the hell do I know. I don't run a CB radio for 11m. And I don't often AM too much anymore. But I do know "clean in equals clean out". Clipped limiters don't make clean audio!!! JMHO. Good day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And for antennas I would look at the sirio 5000 performer and a Breedlove 3" hard mount. This is a good combo and works well. Antenna can be folded down. And yes they are better than the K30, lil wil, Wilson 5000, and so on. The only other antennas I would recommend would be a predator 10k or a 102" whip with a riser, but that would be too tall for your truck. Like I said look into the antenna and mount I suggested and you'll see what I mean. Breedlove mounts are top notch quality mounts. Now if you don't want a hard mount, the sirio PL145 magnet with the performer 5000 is another setup to think about. A hard mount is the better option but if a mag mount is needed, the PL145 and performer 5000 by sirio work well. Or get a tri or quad mag mount. But like I said, hard mount is the best. And don't forget good coax. Times microwave LMR240 is some good coax, as well as Belden, Huber suhner, Andrew, Commscope, Davis, and a few more. You can use stock coax and be fine, but if you're going to hard mount, might as well get good coax as well. These are all JMO. Good luck with your setup and enjoy. Good day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    222DBFL

Thanks for the suggestions on the radio and antenna. I did look at the Uniden 980 and watched a few videos on it. I don't know if I like the push button / menu controls so much. I think I would like switches and knobs better.

The price point is good on the 980 and I may get one and see how it goes.

That Sirio antenna looks like the way to go but I may hold off on that for a while until I see where this (again Hobby) goes or until I understand better what I want / need for a radio. The hard mount will not be an issue on this POS truck.
    On my daily driver I will not be putting holes in it! When I had a sub woofer and amp installed in it (2000 S-10) the stereo shop was just going to run screws through the back cab panel to mount the amp. I said no way I would except that and they would need to find a way to mount it without putting holes in the body and ripping out the jack mounting bracket. I had to manufacture my speaker box for them.

Mounting a radio in the Ranger is a challenge and I put the 29LTD between the sun visors on the roof. I just mounted it to the headliner for now. I may go back later and put in a plate attached to the roof inner structure that I can mount the radio to. I used plastic bottle caps as washers / bolt holders and 1/4 inch bolts to mount it. It seems to work ok but the square tires on this thing bounce at some speeds. I need to get new tires. Mounting one in the S-10 will be a bigger challenge, I can't have buggered up holes everywhere.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-05-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I researched the Cobra 29 LTD and could not find any reason to clip a wire inside it like you would for an export radio. I'm not sure what they did or why they did it. Maybe you should call and ask?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    clubguy

I may go back and ask. At this point their doesn't seen to be anyone to talk to around here so..... The only time I have transmitted has been for a radio check and I got a response so I know it puts out.

I got a $100 tied up in this thing so its not to big a deal. I was just surprised that its quiet around here most of the time. I can't even get a radio check response from the house.

I did pick up some guy that said he was on the West Coast the other day and it sounded like he was in the truck with me. I could not hear who he was talking to but had no trouble hearing him, he was clear as a bell. Responding to people all over the south east and Puerto Rico. Channel 23 I think it was.
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-05-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. Dx is picking up a bit. And clubguy, the reason for the clipped wire is normally someone that doesn't know anything correct about radios other than seeing watts on a meter. It's clipping audio limiter. That is the wire he most likely clipped and probably turned some screws to see more watts. He may have spread coils, turned slugs or the 54mhz trap. Who knows. But it sure sounds as though D11 was clipped. AMC circuit is disabled most likely. JMHO.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  29LTD.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  176.4 KB

The area marked with YELLOW is where he turned on a pot. This is where several videos show to turn up something.

The area marked in WHITE is in the neighborhood of where he had the wire cutters if I remember correctly.

I will remove the radio this weekend and open it up and see what I can see.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ya see that alot, clipping here, clipping that, I have a few that were butchered...They lay on the shelf like dead soldiers..I have a 29 that I bought over 30 years ago..Nothing done to it, just replaced the burned out meter..Still kicking...Best luck I had with moble antenna's were the Wilson mag mounts, anyone from the Lil Wil, 500, 1000, 5000, they all were up in keying down in minutes...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The new Wilson antennas have had some QC issues and I've had 2 myself that wouldn't tune at all. Replaced with a sirio performer 5000. And yes, he most likely clipped D11, the AMC control. Also he may have turned the 54mhz trap or L14. Neither which is needed. The D11 limiter that is cut should be re-soldered IMO. Another Golden Screwdriver special is what you got. Or what some call a truck stop special. Clipped limiters, spread coils, 54mhz trap turned out to get a few more watts that aren't even on freq. Shame to waste a radio like this!! Put it back to stock and leave it!! JMHO.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None