Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for keeping us updated.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would love to see more activity here. Things seem to move kind of slow. I guess that's not all bad. I haven't has yet been able to find any local clubs or groups to interact with so you guys have the pleasure of being my source of information. Do you feel special?

I looked at an article yesterday about a guy who built a base antenna with PVC pipe and 12 or 14 gauge copper wire. That got me thinking, Hey I got this extra radio here and a old Johnson White Face sitting around collecting dust. I could do this!!

But that's getting a little ahead of myself at this time so I had to stop thinking that...............

Although I do have access to some 2 1/2 inch conduit that may make a good mast..........

Wait.... Wait...... Stop thinking that way.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of us become students of our hobbies and want to go go go when we think of new things. It is normal in my opinion. I'd like to think CB's are making a comeback but not as crazy as the 70's.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have lots of hobbies that I can no longer afford. SO I got to keep this in check to some degree....

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On SSB turn to channel 38, or 27.3850. One is the channel and the other the frequency. 38LSB is the normal call channels and then some move away to another channel to talk as 38 can be busy at times. set your clarifier, to the 12 o'clock position and listen. See what people sound like, then adjust your clarifier until they sound normal. There are quite a few people that are off frequency, you'll see what I mean when you hear them. It will either sound like Donald Duck or some one is on some really good slow me down meds and will sound almost as if they are slurring. Your clarifier may not be dead on 12 o'clock for people to sound right. Mine sits at 10 o'clock. This will not affect your transmitted signal either as your transmit is locked on this radio. Only the receive side slides below and above 27.38500. Just enough to clarify people in due to them being off freq of you being off freq on your receive side. And don't let the first person you talk to tell you you're off frequency. If a bunch of people say something then okay, but these radios seem to come from the factory dead on frequency. Mine was and it is an older one. About the 3yrs old. If they haven't fixed the beep crap yet, it's loud!!, you can disable it by removing a resistor. You'll still hear a very very faint beep, but it does make a world of difference. They supposedly fixed this issue and now you can turn beep off I think. Don't quote me on this though. Again if this is the case, then the mod to disable the beep is simple. Just google 980 beep mod and the first video you see pop up, watch it. Also they show you how to unlock the clarifier. IMO, DONT TOUCH THIS!!! Leave it be as the radio should be tx'ing on freq. If it's off freq bad then you may want to perform the mod which is cutting a wire or 2. Easy as pie as well as the beep mod. But like I said don't do it unless your radio is off frequency real bad!!! Better to let someone clarify you in if its just a tiny amount off IMO or send radio to a good tech and have it tuned and aligned. Which from what I have read and seen as far as posts and forums and such go, these radios are on frequency out of the box and are a great little radio. Not big on power, but audio is clean and clear and that is what counts!! You can add a small amp amp and get some power very easily.
    And as far as building an antenna for your base. Google 11 meter 1/2 wave dipole. If you have a couple tall trees or even a way to fasten the ends up as high as possible, you can have a base station for both dx and local communications. You can make a simple 1/2 wave vertical dipole or horizontal for dx or and inverted v. All 1/2 wave dipoles that are about 18ft long. You need just a few parts and can even use a piece of coax to make one. Have a look and just some more food for thought. Have a good day and sorry for the brick wall this AM, too much coffee already

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see someone else is an early riser. At least I know I'm not the only one.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have been going to 38 and listening but I don't hear much or anything at this time. Maybe the new antenna will help with that.
    I see online that you are supposed to be able to turn off the BEEP but it must be for newer radios because I can't turn mine off. Its not to big a deal at this time. My biggest problem with this radio is the button and menu system for making adjustments. Just seems to be trouble while driving. In my view that was not very well thought out.

The shop that did the mod on the 29LTD talked about a CONNEX radio and another customer in the shop said he had a GALAXY DX33HP2 and put a little BLUE amp with it and was happy with the results. The shop had the little amp, I don't know what they wanted for it or any other information. He did say the CONNEX radio was 100 Watt out of the box so......

I have two Oak Trees, one on each side of the house. They are massive but I ain't climbing them. House has a southern exposure and the trees are on the east and west sides on the house. The insurance company is real unhappy about the one on the west side. It's like a big shrub and the limbs overhang that side of the house. These may be a problem with a base antenna that isn't very high but I also have a large pasture behind the house and get strong winds when storms come in from the north west. I have pretty good line of site to the north and south. I got a couple of decent size hills to the south east between me and the interstate to the east.

I may be good if I get the base of any antenna above the roof ridge line and not be too high. That is maybe 15 feet. I have an old TV antenna outside but its not very high. The mast may be 12 feet or so of maybe 1 1/2 inch fence post. It may be ok to use.

Right now its just food for thought.
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-11-2015 at 06:46 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wait a second....... How does this work? How do you mount it?

Name:  Antenna.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  6.3 KB

This is $30 on e-bay. Maybe this isn't out of the question at all......

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Doesn't the lenght of the base antenna have more to do with the frequency height in meters than it does with how high off the ground it is? In other words, I live on the highest elevation in my county, but that doesn't mean I can use a shorter antenna because I'm on a higher ground than everyone else, right?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think as a rule the higher the better. A bigger problem will be obstacles in the path of the radio wave (Trees, Hills etc...) So if you can get above the obstacles you are better off. Local rules may apply to how high you can go.

Now that I think about it. The antenna using the PVC pipe was a vertical version of this antenna. Center connection and a wire running up and a wire running down. Again the higher the better.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None