preps
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to hear that all the time, cut the D11, those radios never really lasted after that!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well the radio still works I made a contact to a guy a few miles away. He gave me a good report. I think he is on top of a big hill not far from here. I gave a call out from the driveway when I got back home and he could still hear me so good to know....

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good deal. You should be okay for now. With the new radio you'd be surprised at the contacts you'll make with just a stock radio. Like I said, read up on how SSB works. It will explain a lot and help you understand.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea, I looked at a couple of things today about SSB. So I have to make up a number / call sign. I will just listen in on what I can hear for a few days. The Sirio Antenna will be a few days getting here. The rain is supposed to clear out tomorrow so I can play with the antennas I have and come up with the best set up for now.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any number will work. A 3 number call is what most use. I use 222, my friend uses his addy. 923. Something easy for you to remember is all. Not really a call sign per say. Just a set of numbers to distinguish you by. Hope that makes sense. You'll get the SSB thing. It didn't take me long. I was an AM'er as well many years ago as well and when I got back into it SSB seemed more active and even with a stock radio you can get on the main call channel 38lsb and make contacts with 10-12 watts of power. Just listen for a while and see what others do when calling out for dx. Then when you get a good signal coming in call back and see what happens! One of my first contacts was across the pond to Ireland. Made my day!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Radio arrived this morning and it is in the truck. I have not been able to get a radio check today so far.

This stuff with the antennas is getting me riled up. Can't get decent numbers with the Lil Wil or K30 no matter where on the roof they are placed. Would the aluminum bed cap cause a problem? The SWR checking on the radio seems to be worthless and I suppose all the other DIAGNOSTIC functions will be as well. The radio itself is not mounted in metal at this time, could this cause issues?

Oh well, here is a pic.......

Name:  980SSB.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  765.3 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FATKAT For This Useful Post:

222FL (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FATKAT View Post
    Radio arrived this morning and it is in the truck. I have not been able to get a radio check today so far.

This stuff with the antennas is getting me riled up. Can't get decent numbers with the Lil Wil or K30 no matter where on the roof they are placed. Would the aluminum bed cap cause a problem? The SWR checking on the radio seems to be worthless and I suppose all the other DIAGNOSTIC functions will be as well. The radio itself is not mounted in metal at this time, could this cause issues?

Oh well, here is a pic.......

Name:  980SSB.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  765.3 KB
    Did ya adjust the whip on the antenna's...Lossen the whip up and adjust it up or down for the lowest swr's...Cheerz!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The K30 or the lil wil aren't going to tune very good. Like I said they are very narrow banded and are basically the bare min. for an antenna. It's just to talk a mile to 2 with those antennas. You'll be a lot happier when you slap a tall antenna up there and it tunes. Just get the vswr down the best you can and leave it for now. Wait for your sirio antenna before getting too hung up on those small antennas. Been there and done that. They just done tune worth a darn. 1.4-1.7:1 is the best I could ever get out of either the K30 or the k40 or the lil will antenna. I placed the sirio performer at the same spot and first readings were 1.1:1 on channel 1 and 1.3:1 on channel 40. Cut the whip and it tuned pretty well flat across CB band. And again have a look at the uniden Bluetooth mic. Where you have your radio mounted one of these mics might be a good deal for you. Check them out at least. Good deal for what they are at under $45 shipped I believe. I use one with my 980 and it works very well. Clean, clear audio are the reports I get. Just some food for thought. Looks good mounted there. Keep at it and again don't let those damn small antennas mess with you. If you can get one to about 1.5:1 or so, it will work but like I said those antennas are more for getting a close traffic check than anything. JMHO.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    DiAbLo

Yea I've done all that just can get good numbers with them. It didn't stop raining today so that made it worse.

I will check out the wireless mic's. I am about as pleased with the "Button's" on this thing as I thought I would be. I don't like it at all but I'll run with it for now. I should be able to get a report back on the thing in the morning on the way to work. Trucks and Trucks everywhere on the highway.

The radio is shorter front to back than the Cobra so I can move it a small amount forward. When I get things working I will work on the mounting more. Its shorter and may mount in a better location. Truck cab is small and compact.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I finally got a response from a radio check yesterday at lunch. I got home yesterday and played with the antennas some more and put the Lil Wil back on as it seemed to be quieter with it that the K30 and the SWR reading were better.

I haven't heard much on the side bands but this could be due to the antenna I suppose. Still waiting impatiently for the Sirio Antenna to arrive to see how much that changes things.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None