preps

Thread: Another NOOB

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another NOOB

Yep, that’s right another new guy……. North West AtlantaMetro Area……..
    I bought a Midland 75-822 hand held unit for a road trip I just got back from. Bought a mag-mount K30 antenna to go with it and had a shop check and set the SWR just to be sure. Had to dig for the old SWR meter ofmine, it’s been a while…. Unit worked well for what I wanted it to do and the weather bands were a plus.

I had a CB years ago in the late 70’s and it was a good one for the time until someone else decided they wanted it and broke into the car and stole it. I know it was someone I knew but I could not prove it so…

This road trip got me thinking maybe I would get my feet wet again and I have bought a 29LTD Classic. It is supposed to be “Peaked and Tuned”whatever that really means. I think he turned a pot of some kind on the back left corner of the board and it appeared he may have cut a wire or something over on the right side just short of the center of the board.

I do find it discouraging that I can’t seem to find any channel where there is any chit chat from locals in my area and finding a shop where someone will talk to a noob is impossible. It would seem they want me to purchase a 10 meter radio tuned to CB frequencies and I don’t really mind that, but what for? If no one is talking then it doesn’t seem it would be worth the trouble.

And now I am here after lurking a bit and looking for any and all information I can find on today’s radios. I will be checking for information and what people are saying about different radios and antennas and ideas for mounting both in my little work truck (03 Ranger). I drive 106 mile round trip for work mostly I-75 and listen mostly to the trash talk from truckers going up and down the road.

Well, for now I guess that’s it. Until next time…

FATKAT
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-04-2015 at 12:47 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FATKAT For This Useful Post:

mark_Hughey (03-15-2016), markus82 (12-05-2015), Steve_Buckeye (11-18-2015), Unkle Buck (12-05-2015)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None