preps
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All great info there mjd420nova!! Read it twice and understand what is being said!! Good grounding practice is a must where I live here around central FL, the Lightning Capitol of the world!! So it goes without saying I've setup one heck of a ground system like you. Takes time and proper knowledge. To others, have a look at the way a commercial tower for cell phone or radio/tv use is grounded and how it all grounds to to the shelter and such. Very intricate and made to take a strike and keep working!! Again, good stuff mjd420nova!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can say without a doubt that I am lost in all of what has been said. I have a friend that is an electrician and I will talk to him about how to set all of this up. Like I said Old House with no Ground system at all!

We do get storms here and lightning. I am not part of a subdivision but have one next to me. A house in that subdivision was struck a couple of years ago. I was standing at my back door watching it rain and such then BAM and a couple of moments later smoke started coming from the house. The trees on ether side of the house will be taller than the antenna but that isn't much comfort.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FATKAT For This Useful Post:

markus82 (12-14-2015)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have your electrician add a ground for your house and also if you can afford it a surge protector for incoming AC power. They aren't cheap!
    Also make sure you ground all your equipment and if you use more than 1 ground rod, make sure to tie both together. Again I highly recommend reading up on commercial tower grounding systems and how they are installed and work. It may help you understand more what if being talked about. Just some food for thought.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The home I moved into in 1985 was built in 1960 and had no grounds in the outlets and aluminum wiring. My original intention was to take the roof off and add a second floor. The rewiring just happened to be easier with the roof off. Complete yank out of the old stull and in with new copper, power center (440 volt, three phase), and each outlet became controlled by a power center monitor. Each outlet was under current limiting with parameters set by and old IBM PC AT. I have worked on a lot of gear in older homes with no ground and it is really dangerous. Non-polarized outlets can allow for some equipment chassis to be at full AC potential, some report little tingles in their fingers, but no real shock, UNTIL you get between two items that are reversed and you just got 110 volts. Deadly for some, usually not for the shock but the fall afterwards. Any electrician should check EVERY outlet for correct wiring and grounds.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I work with 277 almost daily and I can say that is a lot of fun standing on a ladder Its the "FRENCH" that comes after I have to watch out for. Live circuits are fun!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My pipe to pipe clamps should be here tomorrow. I should get the mast assembled this weekend.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Take your time FAT KAT and the tornado will tune well! Just follow the directions from sirio. Also make side that all your grounding is in place before you go to playing too much with things as a good ground is actually beneficial to your antenna system if done correctly. And be safe!! Hope to catch you on air before the DX dies!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last night I was receiving a guy from BOCA like he was in the room, for a while. It got noisy not long after.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Was it 138 by chance?? He is almost 200 miles S of me.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea think that's right. He was coming in clean and clear.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None