preps
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The IMAX 2000 tunes with the rings just like an A99. They look almost the same except the IMAX 2000 is 24ft long vs the A99 at 18ft long. And they come pre tuned from factory for 27mhz I believe. Not much tuning required with these antennas. If you leave the rings alone and don't move them at all, not to check them out or anything, as I said they should be pre tuned. Now after you mount it and get it up on a short pole if possible and then check vswr and see if rings need any adjustments. The IMAX should be a plug and play antenna. Use some electrical tape around the rings to keep them from moving and paint antenna black. The painting isn't necessary, but with Fiberglass it's going to splinter eventually. Painting it or even using some plasti dip you can coat the antenna and this will help keep the splintering down as well as help conceal the antenna as well. Black is a good color it seems. My A99 is spray painted flat black and it blended in very well with surroundings, now the antenna I use now is a bit more noticeable LOL. Here are some pics of my antenna setup.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, so I ordered a Sirio Tornado tonight from DNJ Radio. That LMR Coax is some high dollar stuff! I don't know how long it will be until I get it installed. If I understand the adjustment is in the final tip install of the antenna. The question I have is on the instructions which do I choose for the CB frequencies. They are 26.965 to 27.405 so where on this chart will that fall?

Freq. (MHz) L (mm)
    27.0 1120
    27.185 1060
    27.5 955
    28.0 780
    (10m band) 28.5 610
    29.0 460
    29.5 300
    30.0 165

Well that did not work- The BOLD / Underline is the length in MM for the Freq. next to it.
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-26-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You want the one for 27.0MHz. Shorten it by 10mm and you're good to go. About 1040mm should be about right for approx. 27.205 which is the center of the CB band. If you look at the difference from 27.0 to 27.5 I just split the difference and go with it. Or close to it. If memory serves me right I tuned mine at this tip height. 1040mm should be about perfect. The radials are all the same and they give you the length to place the radials at. I just use a converter app for making MM into Inches. So 1040mm would be 40.944 inches. The radials don the same and use a sharpie to mark your lengths. Also use some blue loctite in the Allen screws that hold the radials and top whip. Tnis will keep them from backing out over time. Also if possible get yourself some no-ox special "a" for all connections minus the coax connector. Place some on all the self tapping screws and at every section where they screw together. You can get the no-ox off eBay for pretty cheap. Under $10. Here is what I am speaking of. See pic below for no-ox.

Use just a very light coat on all screws and such. Don't use on the Allen heads as they are stainless and you will be using blue locktite on these screws which should be 9-10 of them total. You'll see when you get the antenna where to use it. Any Allen screw that can back out over time with being moved around and such. Don't use the red locktite it's too much and you won't be able to get it loose!! Been there and done that!! Take your time, measure twice and double check all your measurements!! The antenna is light but will be a bit awkward to mess with. I suggest a 2nd set of hands to help lift the antenna up into place as to not bend it as the antenna is pretty long. Again you will understand more when you get the antenna. They are simple to put together and if you use the measurements I gave you for the tip you should be about good for tuning of the antenna. If the vswr is good on 1,20, & 40, leave it. Like a 1.1:1 or lower. The antenna should tune pretty flat across the 40 channels of the CB band. And as far as the coax goes, at least get a 100ft run of some rg8x or whatever you need to reach your radio room that is under 100ft. This is where the coax I mentioned comes into play. And if you look around you can get the coax for under $100 for 100ft. Try looking at Jefa Tech coax. The rg8x/LL240flex is $.43 a ft. That would be $43.00 for 100ft. Good coax and a good price!! Shipping shouldn't be too much. Add about $10 for shipping. Maybe a bit more. So for $60 you can have some quality coax that will last you a while and will work well. See photo below for Jefa tech coax as well.
    Can you swing $50-$60 dollars for 100ft of some quality coax?? I'm sure you can dig up that much. Whatever you do, don't use the Radio Shack coax for your base station, it's not very good coax and I promise you will have issues, if not now then later, with the RG58 from Radio Shack!!
    Don't skimp out on the coax and you can also have the connectors added as well or buy a 10pk of amphenol connectors like the ones listed below. Again, see pics.
    You don't have to get as many connectors as shown but these are the ones you want for the coax I listed. And make sure the have the reducers. I use these connectors and have never had an issue with them!! The coax I've not used the Jefa Tech coax myself, but have been told by many it's quality stuff and well worth every penny!! Again, do it right once or have to take it down to mess with it a year from now or less is the question you need to ask yourself. I promise that the radio shack coax will in the end become an issue. Just not made for long term use outdoors like you want. JMHO. This is what I would do. Spend once and be done!! It is worth the extra few extra dollars to get quality parts and know they will last!! Again, JMHO. And your antenna "system" is the most important thing next to having a radio. Good luck and hope to catch you on air sometime.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  16feet.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  68.5 KB

So the top of this pipe is approximately 16 feet. It is not sunk in the ground. The very bottom has a short section of maybe a foot that is of reduced size. I may be able to raise it by adding a section at the bottom.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That will work with the tornado. Get it to 18-20ft and start there. If you feel like you can go up to 27-30ft then go for it. Check the antenna out first though so you have an idea of the load factor at the top of the mast. They aren't very heavy, but you still want a good mast pipe setup. If you can find a pipe to slide inside that one and then you'll be up to about 24ft if you go down into the other pipe a couple feet and add a couple bolts. Add a Cinder block at the bottom and drill the pipe to it using a couple of good large tap con screws and a 2 hole conduit holder for the very bottom. This will keep it planted and keep it from swinging out on you. Just some food for thought. And you will need to ground the mast as well. Get a 5/8" x 8ft ground rod at Home Depot. Very back of the electrical section. Add this and a short piece of #2awg THHN to ground rod using the proper parts. You will need a clamp for the mast pipe and one for the ground rod. Place the ground rod close to the mast pipe and pound it all the way down until only a couple of inches are showing. Then add the clamp to the mast pipe like the one pictures below. Also you will need one for the ground rod. You can find them right with the clamp for the mast pipe. Same area. I call them acorn ground nuts. They look kind of like an acorn with a hole in it and a bolt to tighten it down to the ground rod.
    Here is a pic of the ground rod wire holder as well.
    I use solid #2awg for my grounding system and have a total of 7-8 ground rods around the back of my house and around the sides. All linked together to form a single point ground system. My radios and all equipment get grounded to these rods as well as a surge arrester. Can't be too safe when it comes to grounding around here as its the Lightning Capitol of the world!! I take this very seriously as well and can go on about it for a while as well. For now get yourself at least one ground rod and ground your mast pipe. JMHO.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I thought I might get that pipe on the ground and dig out a foot or so to re-set it. I also thought I may buy a pipe to pipe clamp and extend the mast from the top with a 10 foot fence top rail pipe clamped to the side of this pipe. I could add 5 or 6 feet to the height without needing guy wires. That would put the base of the antenna at 20 feet or so.

Name:  Clamp.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  31.4 KB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    20ft is a good start if that is high as you can get antenna for now. Take your time putting it together and be safe.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving.

I think if I bury the existing pipe in the ground about a foot and add a 10 ft pipe at the top with about say 16 inches for the clamps then I should have the base of the antenna at about 23 feet.
    I plan to assemble all of this on the ground and then stand it back up as an assembly, that being the tricky part.
    J

I don’t think I can get it any higher without getting real serious with a mast. I hope it's enough.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Try to get a set of extra hands to help you lift the antenna back up. Reason I say this and you'll understand once you build the antenna is to keep it from gerund bent when you put it up due the length of the antenna itself. It helps to have a least 2 people to place a mast up, one at the antenna to help walk it up as far as possible, this will help keep the antenna from getting bent or damaged should you loose control while trying to get it up. It's not hard but it can be tricky at times! Be safe and take your time. Sounds like you have a good plan in place and just need to implement it!! And enjoy the new toys.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Alright I just came back from Home Depot and I noticed something. The 1 3/8 inch fence top rail is 16 gauge galvanized and 10ft 6in long. The 1 1/4 inch EMT Conduit is larger outer diameter or so it seems. I suppose its inside diameter v outside diameter. Suppose which one would be stronger, The price is not greatly different. The schedule 40 Ridged conduit I am betting is what I have outside the house now but 10ft of that is 30$. I am unsure of how strong a section joint would be in the middle of two pieces standing upright although it being threaded on each end I could cut one piece in half and connect to each end of a full piece that would likely be pretty strong but costly.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None