preps
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And then make the adjustment. Watch your watt meter for it to show a 2 watt dead key and close the lid.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222FL View Post
    And then make the adjustment. Watch your watt meter for it to show a 2 watt dead key and close the lid.
    It appears that Radio Shack no longer sells SWR/Watt Meters although you can find old units on E-Bay fairly cheap.

The Sirio Antenna is installed. Daaaaaaaang its a long antenna.................

Its too dark to get a photo so I will get that tomorrow. SWR's were less than 1.1 on Channel 1 and just under 1.2 on 40, out of the package so I just left it alone. Still unable to get a radio check from the house. I don't know what's up with that. It did seem I was hearing the truck drivers on the interstate and that is 10 miles away. Some more clear than others so maybe those were running amps.

222FL, if you don't mind when you get a chance post links or make and model of a dummy load set up you would recommend for budget minded equipment. Also that base Sirio antenna you mentioned, I looked and found a GPE 27 but the listings got confusing. can you post a link to said antenna? Please. This base and amp stuff is still way ahead of where I am at the moment but I can look and think about it.
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-12-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes sir. The dummy load is something like this. Doesn't have to be this exact one but something like this for a dummy load.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447383261.547451.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  137.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447383270.833937.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  111.7 KB
    And another swr meter is this one.
    The radio shack ones you might be able to find on eBay, if not the workman HP201s will work. I like the diawa CN101. Both are pictures below. The workman meter will work fine, but the diawa meter is of better quality and is a cross reading needle which shows forward and reflected power which is good. Also cut about 1/4" off your whip. It's too long. Not by much, but if you cut in 1/8" pieces, and cut 1/4"-1/2" off, the antennas I'll most likely tune pretty flat. The way it's setup tells the antenna is too long if vswr is lower on ch1 than 40. You're close, might as well get it as best you can. And it can be better than it is. Not by much, but you want it to be as best as possible before adding any amps. Okay now for the swr meters. First is the workman then the diawa. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447384602.221181.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  135.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447384611.042334.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  105.7 KB
    If you can find a radio shack meter for cheap. Like under $40 shipped new those will work as well. Just makes sure it's the swr/power meter. Or either of the 2 I posted will work as well as the dummy load I posted. If you look Around you can find good deals on the dummy loads and the watt meters. Buy new if possible. JMO. But if you find a good deal and the equipment looks to be in good working order and condition, grab it. Bird makes a great dummy load, but normally they cost the most. And most will require the use of an n-male to SO239 connector. This will be on the bird dummy loads more and you'll see more dummy loads with n-male Connectors. You want one with an SO239 connector. And you'll need a couple of coax jumpers. Coax jumpers like these. They don't have to be these exact ones. Just something like this. Can be mini 8, lmr240, lmr400. A mini 8 one would work fine. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447385363.913067.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  185.4 KB
    With 2 coax jumpers, the dummy load and an swr/watt meter lime what I posted will be what you need for basic radio stuff. Enough for you to lower the dead key and get a reading of swr and power. We don't need military precision here. Like I said, but about 1/4-1/2" off that whip in 1/8" cuts and it will tune pretty well flat across the entire CB band. Don't settle for just okay. Make it the best it can be and when you add an amp, you'll most likely have less issues. Again JMO. You will make contact on SSB. Try SSB early am like 8am or so and listen throughout day as well. Dx comes and goes. You gotta catch it. 38lsb. You hang out there long enough you'll hear some dx. Anyway. Any more questions fell free to ask. I've given you the list of things needed to tune your radio, add to that a plastic electronic screwdriver. And if you already have an swr/power meter that works, just get a dummy load and a couple of coax jumpers. And then it's just a matter of hooking it all up and adjusting your dead key. Once done, it's done. The dummy load is also good for checking output on radios as well. Just don't stay keyed up long if you are using a small dummy load as they will get a warm. The larger 100 watt ones depending on who makes it can take some power. Here is my bird dummy load. I've put 400 watts into it and it just barely got warm. But this is not an el cheapo dummy load. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447386363.690340.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  275.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447386415.348733.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  135.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447386432.377612.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  229.9 KB
    The last 3 photos of are a bird dummy load. If you can find a good used one of these grab it!!! Anyway, again hope all this helps and any more questions just ask. If I can help I will. Good day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And here is the sirio antenna i spoke of. It's the sirio GPE 27. Here is a photo and the site you want is DNJ Radio. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447386811.341728.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  190.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447386818.034209.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  166.0 KB
    Check out the whole line of sirio antennas they will have something you can use. The GPE 27 is thier least expensive antenna but they do work and tune well.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222FL View Post
    And here is the sirio antenna i spoke of. It's the sirio GPE 27. Here is a photo and the site you want is DNJ Radio. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447386811.341728.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  190.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447386818.034209.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  166.0 KB
    Check out the whole line of sirio antennas they will have something you can use. The GPE 27 is thier least expensive antenna but they do work and tune well.
    Yep, that's the one I was looking at although their seemed to be several listing with GPE 27. I also checked out another Sirio antenna they had listed due back in stock this month that had more of the "Radials", looked like the same antenna other than that. The only other question I had about it was the "Tuning" part. Do you have to figure out how long to make it? I am looking for an On Line manual and see how difficult this may be.

The P5000 came from DNJ through Amazon.

I have seen some photos of a smaller version of that Diawa meter I think mounted in line permanently in some mobile set up's. I thought Diawa made fishing rod's

I will keep looking and see how I can get a mast sturdy enough set up without breaking the bank. I think if I keep it low enough say just above the roof high point ridge I shouldn't have to worry about the wind too much so we will see.

Got to go to work now.........

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The sirio antennas all come with the exact numbers. They are always in MM, and not inches as the antennas are made in Italy. Where you looking at the tornado maybe? Had one of those up for about 1.5yrs and did very well. Just follow the tuning guide in the manual and you will be just fine. If you get serious about this hobby and 11m and end up finding some locals and such, the 2016, 827 or the vector 4000 are great antennas as well but will need a good mast pipe setup or tower to be used. I am currently using the vector 4000, and man it rocks!! It tuned flat and is the best antenna I've ever used as far as verticals are concerned. They are very quiet on the RX side and man they will put a signal out too! Mike is set to 26ft to the base. I posted a thread about it. It isn't an easy antenna to put together though. The tornado or the GPE 27 are good ones. Here is a photo of one that my local friend has up, notice how small the mast pipe is. It's fence rail top post. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447419791.099503.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  372.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447419807.536177.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  272.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447419832.950405.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  323.1 KB
    This is the one I posted the photo of from DNJ Radio. Great place to buy from. Anyway. Have a good one. Off to work.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can hear lots of people this afternoon! So much so they are talking all over each other. Can only hear one side of any conversation and that is a loose term for what I am hearing. I guess what ever the weather conditions are they are good for somebody. It is mostly clear and sunny here today in downtown Atlanta.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So, better than the old antenna?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clubguy View Post
    So, better than the old antenna?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
    Well I'm going to say yea......... Up until today I thought they were all just pulling my leg I haven't heard anything like today so far. I just came in from getting the wiring completed running direct off the battery and can still hear some. Its all one sided and seems to come and go and a lot is difficult to understand. But today I'm hearing it.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did contact someone this afternoon on AM. We were only maybe a couple miles apart. He is actually only about 4 miles or so from my house. He said to turn up the modulation on the radio. I take it he is on a base.

A Power Mic will accomplish the same thing, will it not?

Visitors found this page by searching for

None