preps
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. Most likely so. Where you are is a about 200 more miles away than me. I'm north of him about 200 miles south of me. I'm sure if you heard him you would have heard me as well as we normally speak with the same people and I do know him as well, 138 that is, and have spoken to him while working down that way many times as well as once or twice from the house when the conditions are right. There was some good DX last night until almost 1-2am this morning. I got on the radio at like 7-8 and talked to a whole group of fellas in NJ, they one by one made contact with me. Also spoke with a bunch of others as well. Used my dipole mostly and about 20-50 watts max last night and had a blast!! I must have talked to 20-30 people man!! That dipole at 35-40ft up was working well last night per the signal reports and call backs I was getting LOL! At any rate, get that antenna up and you'll be a happy camper!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sent you a PM as well.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll say this, if you have the room and have a couple trees that are 20ft high or more, place a dipole in the horz. position and man you'd be surprised at how they work!! Shoot when I first had mine up it was maybe 12-15ft off the ground and I worked Australia with it using a barefoot Uniden PC122XL @ 12 watts pep!! This was with my very first home brewed dipole antenna as well made from scrap stuff!! It obviously worked okay!! At any rate just some food for thought. Can't have too many antennas LOL!! Again, be safe installing the new antenna and take your time installing it. I would personally weather proof the joints of the antenna and make sure to use NO-OX on all the joints, screws and such. Don't use it on your coax connector!! Just on metal to metal surfaces. A light coat will work plenty fine. Also make sure you use BLUE locktite and not the RED stuff or you'll never get the Allen head screws back out. Believe me I know. And again, be safe!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  IMG_0094.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  62.5 KB

I hope everyone had a Wonderful Christmas and Wishing All a very Happy New Year.

I have been working on my radio set up with my time off the last few days. With Christmas Cash burning a hole in my pocket I am looking to add to my station as soon as I complete my antenna install. 50ft of LMR400 should be here before New Years and if it will stop raining maybe over the holiday I can complete that.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looking good FATKAT. How is the antenna install coming along or has it not started??? I know it's been busy as all get out lately first hand!!! Hope you get it up soon as the DX won't be here for much longer then it will be all local talk!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222FL View Post
    Looking good FATKAT. How is the antenna install coming along or has it not started??? I know it's been busy as all get out lately first hand!!! Hope you get it up soon as the DX won't be here for much longer then it will be all local talk!!
    I hope to have the antenna up in the next week or so. Coax should be here Wednesday and when/if the rain lets up I will attempt to get it installed.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good deal!! Hope you are able to get it done. Write down everything you do and take measurements and record them. Also mark antenna with a good sharpie. It helps!! And as always, be safe!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    HOLY CRAP!!!!!! Batman................................. My coax arrived yesterday and dang that is some large cable! The little standoffs I bought are going to have a hard time with this stuff!

After today the rain is supposed to be gone for the most part so maybe over new years I can get this thing assembled.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. It will last you a long time as well!! Well worth the investment! Hope you are able to get it up soon. DX has been good at night here. Talked to a guy outside of Atlanta the other night as a matter of fact.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need some help understanding the Breedlove Puck Mounts. How much clearance at the headliner am I going to need to use one of these. The web site has little information on this and I can't find any "YouTube" videos to help!

Anyone have pic's / video links to show the install?

Visitors found this page by searching for

None