preps
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Use a fishing pole and some weight. Get the line up tree on a good limb on both sides about the same height. A now and arrow or even a sling shot will work for getting line up a tree. Get some 550 paracord and mount each end to the rope and pull it up. The higher the better. 20-30ft is good. Higher is better to a certain extent. This is with using the dipole you posted FATKAT.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Or you can mount it to a pole in the center and hang the ends down for an inverted V.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you get both local and Dx from the same antenna?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Any idea how long the wires are on ether side of center on one of these antennas?

How wide apart should the ends be in the inverted V?

Tying it from the trees doesn't seen a goo idea. One is like a bush and the other is kind od spindly.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    According to my ham radio manual, Dipoles are determined by the following equation: Length (in feet) = 468 / Frequency (in MHz). So, if you are talking on approximatley 27 MHz, then you would use this equation: 468/27=17.3. I would say that it is 18 feet long.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can you tell me what about the buttons on the 980 that you don't like?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't like that you have to push a button then turn the knob and find the item you want to adjust and then push the button make the adjustment and then find EXIT and push the button. That kind of thing.

Take adjusting the RF Gain or Mic Gain. You have to push the button, key the mic, turn the knob. If you are riding down the road that's a lot of fiddling! On a stationary unit like a base it would not be a big deal.

Maybe I am making a bigger deal of it than I should but just give me a knob to turn or switch to flip!

Link to Manual
    http://www.manualslib.com/manual/405...arcat-980.html
    Last edited by FATKAT; 11-11-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clubguy View Post
    According to my ham radio manual, Dipoles are determined by the following equation: Length (in feet) = 468 / Frequency (in MHz). So, if you are talking on approximatley 27 MHz, then you would use this equation: 468/27=17.3. I would say that it is 18 feet long.
    Thanks, I live in a single level bread box house. Its not very wide. I was thinking how much mast I may need and invert the "V" back down to the eves of the house. Sounds like I would need 25 to 30 foot of mast.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the 18 feet is total length so each side of the Dipole would be 9 feet, but the recommended feed line is 25-30 feet. The antenna setup you are describing is called the Inverted-V.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can go inverted V or horz. The antenna you posted is more for dxing, and not so much local. For local talk get a vertical antenna up as high as possible. The dipoles will have a little bit of local distance but it's not much, 2-4 miles tops. But for dxing they are a great antenna. Here are measurements for s dipole cut for 27.205 channel 20 CB band. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447307420.341546.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  120.4 KB
    The length I've posted is cut for center freq. if you talk more on the upper channels for SSB, then cut a but shorter. One for 27.405 as well. You'll see it's shorter.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447307548.871062.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  120.5 KB
    The opposite goes for the lower channels. The wires will be longer. But the 2 photos I posted give lengths for both the inverted v abs horizontal dipoles which will have a bit different length. Read up about the differences in both before making your choice as how to place it. Horz.is easy with 2 large trees and some paracord and a fishing pole with some heavy weight attached to it. Enough to get up high as you want but not break your line. Then tie the paracord to the fishing line and pull it up over a tree branch on both sides. It doesn't have to be super high to work. If 10ft is all you can get it up to it will work, just not as well as it would at 18ft or even 30-40ft. The 30-40ft range seems to be a good area for them height wise if you can go that high. Anything from 10ft up will work. You can go less than 10dt but your pattern may suffer some being so low to ground. Anyway. The photos below should help. If you are going to buy one, look at the Dr. Dipole Unadilla 11m dipole with 1:1 balun. You want one with a matching balun. A 1:1 balun. The dr dipole one I've seen personally and they work well and are ugly well too. JMO. Or build one yourself and just buy a 1:1 balun for impedance matching to present a 50 ohm load at the radio. And it will keep the neighbors happy! And yes they are sold on the auction site. The Unadilla. Made by Dr. Dipole.
    For local talk a simple antenna is the vertical dipole that's just hung vertically. There are ways to make one out of coax that works well. Or get a good vertical antenna and you can have both local and dx. Depending on how serious you are, the antenna is going to be the most important thing besides the radio itself. That and good coax and connectors. Don't skimp out on and antenna. JMO. This is one area that some good research will go a long way. I just purchased and put up a sirio vector 4000 and it is one rocking antenna for both local and dx use. But it is a tall antenna!! As I sit and type this the DX is just dying from here in FL to up north area. Late night dx!! It's 1am and I am still hearing faint dx in my receive. Anyway. Hope some of this helps. Have fun and enjoy. Also here is a photo of the sirio vector 4000 I have up. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447308867.685608.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  294.2 KB.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None