preps
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I don't know where everybody went. I know I have no life so....... I had one once

You won't believe what I did today.......

I went to Radio Shack and bought a 50ft roll of coax and a connector to connect the coax to the antenna on my truck. I parked the truck in the front yard and brought the other end of the coax inside the back door then drug out a power supply and connected the 29LTD up. Checked the SWR's and got 1.1 on channel 1 and 40 and I now have a base station. Made a contact not too far away but now I am in the recliner watching TV with the radio on the coffee table waiting to get something started.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The optima mk3 reads in frequency on all modes. Continuous coverage from 24.500 to 29.999. Stock setting is 5k steps. I just have saved the 5 most used freqs I use and if I need to go somewhere it's not that hard to get there with dialing the knob a bit. And yes, it's very simple to remember the freqs after going to them enough. I like the radio. I am biased by this, but it was through research like this that I came to find the optima mk3. With that said I also own a few other radios including an Icom 746, kenwood ts140s, a few am radios and a few SSB radios well. If I were in the market for a radio and had the money to spend, I would look at the kenwood ts480hx or and Icom 718, 7200 or Alinco sr8t. And add an external antenna tuner for other bands if wanted. Or find a good used HF radio like a kenwood TS50s or similar for mobile and you can find good deals if you look around on CL locally as well as EBay from time to time. Best if you buy used to get one locally if possible and be able to test it before you buy. I got lucky with my ts140s and spent less then $300 shipped for it I think or right at that. It is bit smaller than a full size base station radio I guess you could say. It works great and is dead on frequency. Anyway, JMHO about all of it. Good day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's the decision about what's best for communication while you are driving : CB/SSB or Ham.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by FATKAT View Post
    Well I don't know where everybody went. I know I have no life so....... I had one once

You won't believe what I did today.......

I went to Radio Shack and bought a 50ft roll of coax and a connector to connect the coax to the antenna on my truck. I parked the truck in the front yard and brought the other end of the coax inside the back door then drug out a power supply and connected the 29LTD up. Checked the SWR's and got 1.1 on channel 1 and 40 and I now have a base station. Made a contact not too far away but now I am in the recliner watching TV with the radio on the coffee table waiting to get something started.
    Now that is funny. Was there some duct tape involved?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by clubguy View Post
    Now that is funny. Was there some duct tape involved?

Not yet,,,, but if duct tape can make a ground plane......... well

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it works and you are making contacts, good deal!! As far as the Radio Shack coax, it is not the best there is and is quite lossy for a 100ft run. This may be why you are seeing a good VSWR reading as well. If you can afford it at some point, get some good LMR240 or LMR400. A 100ft run from a good company like times microwave or Davis cable, Andrew, Commscope, Belden, and so on. Don't buy the knock off stuff its crap. And also either have them install or purchase good connectors as well. Amphenol makes good connectors that will fit both of the coax's listed above. Just need reducers for the lmr240. Get 100ft., and don't cut it. Coil up what you don't use and when/if you ever get a base antenna you will have good coax already. JMHO and some food for thought. Have a good one and happy dxing!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea, I know it likely wasn't the best coax but I thought for a quick easy try $20 for 50ft was worth a shot. The guy I spoke to was surprised when I told him what I had set up "String Bean" was his handle. We were a couple miles apart or so as the crow flies but he said it sounded good. I didn't hear much else happing all weekend on AM or SSB at least local.

For now it was just a way to get a radio set up in the house. I did move the 980 inside yesterday. Just messin around I got to pay property taxes this week and time to start getting ready for Christmas. My parents are easy to buy for cause what do you get someone that has everything they want? A good steak dinner! For my son it will be CASH and maybe some weird, Strange, Off the Wall T-Shirt. He has a warped since of humor, much like his Dad!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Where abouts in GA are you FATKAT?? Just curious as sometimes I hear some GA stations when conditions are right. At any rate have fun, and keep at it on SSB, you'll make a contact. Don't worry you'll make them eventually. Don't get discouraged.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in NW Ga. about 50 miles outside Atlanta, Near Rome Ga.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay. I've talked to that area a couple times when the conditions were right. Had some family in Marietta at one time as well. Nice place.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None