preps
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Another NOOB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes it will. Look at the RF limited 2018 extreme mic. It's a great mic and you can set it without any echo and it sounds very good. Even just a slight touch of reverb isn't too bad on SSB. But echo and roger beeps don't go over well with the SSB crowd. I have one of the mics I listed above and it makes the 980 wake up a lot. Leave the internal modulation alone. Make sure the mic gain is set to 4 with the stock mic before giving up too. It may already be. But yes a good power mic will help!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SSB you have to tune or clarify people to where they sound normal. That is most likely your issue on SSB is that you don't have the clarifier set correctly. Listen to a loud station and use your clarifier to tune him in until his voice sounds normal. It's different from AM. It takes some time to get used to but you'll make contacts on SSB if you keep at it. And what you were hearing is dx. And normally depending on where you are, you are going to hear one side of the conversation majority of the time. Do some research on SSB operation and you'll get what I mean.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea I got the clarifier thing. I followed your instruction to work in and around the 10 o'clock position. I could hear some very well so I assume they were running amps of some kind but couldn't here who they were speaking to. There were so many this afternoon and then someone with a stronger signal would come over another.

I could not hear a lot of call numbers and a lot sounded like CB talk but mostly they were just confirming they were hearing XXX000 and it would be on to the next. I did not try to make a call out to anyone on SSB today. I still don't know what to call myself. I had hoped to hear others and then I would have an idea how to proceed.

I want to know how you "CUT" the base of that whip! I will have to take a Die Grinder to it to make cuts. That thing is thick at the base. My side cutters will not cut it like the Lil Wil or K30

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just pick a 3 digit number that is east for you to remember. I use 222. Those are my lucky numbers so it's what I use and have for 15-20yrs now. Some of the stations may say Alpha Kilo (AK) and this is normally a club call sign. Just a different mode of the CB band that at times has better etiquette than CB band. But it has gotten bad!! Anyway pick a set of numbers and call out CQ DX "your numbers" standing by for possible contact. Wait for about 10 seconds and if no one responds do it again. It's all about timing!! You can make contacts with that radio and 12 watts I promise. Give it a try and you'll see. When you hear the loudest station come in, call back for him. That is when you will call his numbers like on AM. How about it 444, this is 222 Daytona Bch., FL waving a hand, trying to make contact, or whatever you feel comfortable with saying. There is some etiquette on SSB, so listen for what others are saying and you will catch on to what they are asking. Some may say QSY to another channel. Means just that, lets move to a diff freq. It isn't hard to learn the "lingo" per say. Just keep at it. Once you make s good dx contact you will be hooked!!! It's just now that conditions are picking up. There are quite a few SSB guys in Atlanta I would think. Listen early am like 5am or so from 36-40lsb. You may find a group of locals.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Lots of DXing going on today as well. I have read an article that I guess is fairly old on CB Radio Magazine's web site in the How To Section about SSB. Link below

http://cbradiomagazine.com/Articles/...oot%20Skip.htm

So I paid more attention to the antenna mast for that TV antenna here at the house. It turns out that it is 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch galvanized steel water pipe so its sturdy! It is maybe 15 feet tall and that is maybe the high point of the roof ridge of my house. If I purchase that Sirio base antenna the radials will be about level with that roof ridge is this BAD or will it still function properly? I don't know what they do so...... I take it that SWR's can be adjusted on these on the ground before they are installed.

Also the pipe is not buried in the ground. Its in maybe a couple inches. I can't lift it without loosening the stand off about 9 feet up. What else would I need to know or do to install a base antenna.

By the way I have purchased a Radio Shack 21-534 Watt/SWR meter. Found one that said and showed to be "New in Box". I also have that Dummy Load coming. So now I will be able to bench test power output on a radio is that correct?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you can bench test power now. Don't forget the couple of coax jumpers you will need to go from radio to swr meter then to dummy load from swr meter. Also you need to get the pipe up to at least 20ft for it to work correctly. And yes the radials need to be away from any obstructions. Look up some pics of the sirio tornado through Google and you'll see how they are mounted. You might be able to get a couple more pipes and make yourself a push up mast yourself. Find some more pipe either larger or smaller to slide in or out of the current pipe. You need to bury the pipe a few feet down as well as to not have the bottom swing out due to a bad storm or something. Take your time and look around your house for a good mounting area, then plan around that area. Safety is the main thing. Stay away from power lines and from neighbors houses!! JMHO. Especially on the power lines. Stay away at all costs!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I been doing lots of yard work the past two days. I don't know what I will do on the antenna, for now likely nothing. Maybe I will just buy some coax and when I don't have a lot going on I can just connect to the antenna on the truck and listen in on what may be going on local on the CB in the evenings. I didn't hear much today on the radio. It was cloudy and overcast unlike the last two days. Other than that nothing going on here but leaf raking and burning.

How was everybody else's weekend?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    About the same as yours. ..beautiful weather in Minnesota...lawn mowing, picking up leaves, cigar smoking. Attended my daughter's 2 hockey games.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My son lives in North Carolina, I spoke to him on the phone yesterday before he went to work. He loves Hockey! I don't get it but then I am not much of a sports guy. Some Alabama Football maybe Now Drag Racing that's where I can't get enough. I love fast cars..........

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here. Went to the fair yesterday with the little one. And today mowed the lawn!!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None