preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going mobile again

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I got the wrong Breedlove mount, seems too big to fit anywhere on the Jeep I was planning! I think there was a smaller diameter one have to check. Otherwise love the design, is totally beefy and bulletproof. got the removable antenna mount version.

First exhaust bonding clamp "kit" I found was like $25 for just one. the strap is tinned but wow pricey. gotta' be a kit with 3 clamps at a better price somewhere.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Which one did you get?? I know the removable one, but how large.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How long is your coax? Maybe try another piece.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also I see you clipped the clarifier to open it up to rx/tx. Which knob controls what. Is this just the coarse clarifier that is being opened up?? Never touched mine as its dead on freq on TX. No need to unlock the clarifier for me. Anyway, just curious. Thx.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Am using new 18' FireRing. The white wire allows 11 Meter - I never ever go on the other channels, will be getting my ticket eventually. The Breedlove I ordered one late night is #071 with a #031 QD cap. Way too big base.

Waiting on a new 5' Firestick to arrive in meantime!

Sprung for a MFJ223 antenna analyzer trying to better see what's going on. Quite interesting!!! The graph centered on Ch20 resembles inverted bell curve - a good thing I think and backs up previous readings so I know I not going nuts. Best tuning I could get the 4' Firestick now :

Ch1 1.54 -- Ch20 1.12 -- Ch40 1.59

Was splitting hairs back and forth for at least an hour twisting the knob until I gave up

What I found also was the "R" factor started off 53.2 Ch1 then gradually declined throughout the band until all of sudden out toward Ch37 or so fell off the map and ended up at Ch40 R=37.6 That's resistance in ohms right?

How come did that? /me dunno but want to learn 'bout 'tennas!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The antenna is a mono band antenna and will only show good VSWR and impedance where it's actually cut for or tuned for resonance. Read up on how both correlate with another and how to properly use that MFJ analyzer you have now. It will make your antenna tuning a breeze and also teach you to tune for good impedance match and not just VSWR as now you see there is more than just VSWR involved with proper tuning of an antenna. JMHO. Read up on the analyzer you got also read the Manual to learn how to use it the right way!! Again, JMHO. Tune to R=50ohms and X=0 at the freq you want the antenna to be resonant at. Since you are using a 50ohm impedance radio, coax, and antenna, you need to have them all be as close to 50ohms as you can with X=0 or as close to 0 as you can get.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    this is all new to me but I'm trying to learn! found this webpage and has really good info to start. I need more instruction or info on all this matching and coil stuff. I think I got an old antenna book around here somewhere. For sure a book on the technician license that I started to read then put down

http://www.k0bg.com/match.html

please note X already = 0 at Ch20 (pic attached) I know this is just a rebranded china meter. the manual doesn't go into the background info or theory or anything and is printed in font so small it makes everyone look chinese just reading it the firestick antenna paper didn't either. first time I've heard about this X factor! How does one tune to R=50? is this where a ferrite thing comes into play or something?

Name:  IMG_1096.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  1.09 MB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    oh yeah, the tub of no-ox came in the mail too!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I need to make a choke near the fender mount?

Visitors found this page by searching for

None