preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it ok to spray paint a base antenna for stealth?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question is it ok to spray paint a base antenna for stealth?

you know the story - hoa, nosy neighbors. I'd like to camo it up behind the house or near some trees.

used to have a horizontal homemade dipole but had to hang it under metal gutters to hide it and that created all kinds of tuning problems. had to cut both sides so much to meter down but it did work. otherwise I'll have to hide one up in the attic next time.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can paint them hot pink if you want...paint's no different than having plastic shrink wrap on it like the mobile fiberglass antenna's have. I know guys who even have their mobile antenna's powder coated to match their truck...A base antenna would be no different. I've seen a guy who had a A99 he painted sky-blue so it wouldn't be as visible in the air.

Only down side to painting, is after time the paint is going to start fading.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222FL (01-20-2016), alpha78 (01-20-2016), Steve_Buckeye (01-22-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I used some good heat shrink on my old A99. Made it very nice to handle!! Added a bit of weight but not enough to bother anything, and it actually stiffened the top whip. Looked good all black!! And was heat shrink used is UV rated. Looks good all blacked out except the joints. I left those exposed and used no-ox on them all. Came out nice. But was soon replaced with a sirio vector 4K. At any rate, black spray paint works well. Flat black. It actually blended in pretty good with this color. Just my experience with them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

alpha78 (01-20-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks all! this is going to be good
    next question is will I screw propagation up if I did run a vertical antenna hidden inside a tree? like next to the trunk? I can clear some branches no problem but really trying to make it invisible if possible. maybe that should be a vertical dipole instead. will need to run 50' coax to the house in the least.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    suck part is my house abuts a hill so the continental US is blocked behind me. I face due west with southern exposure so get much japanese or used to. would be ok if I could speaky it! but don't. otherwise got lots of australia but that was in the jeep up on top of the hill. couldn't reach them but heard them real good. got mexico too but they were way in the mud. then skip died. if I could have a beam that would rock cuz then I could just point it over the ocean. would cover the whole west side of the island too that's line of sight for me no need for a rotor. I don't think the attic is big enough though most certainly not tall enough. need options. a compact yagi?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If space is limited for a beam, check out the "Lightning L2 quad"...

I have the Lightning L4 quad on a 40' tower and can talk to everyone I hear with no problem... The Lightning quads are light weight, and the L2 can be used with a cheap TV antenna rotor.

Google "Lightning quad antennas"...and while your on the site, check out the pictures in "quad Testmonials"...I have pictures of mine there about half way down the page.
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 01-20-2016 at 09:41 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222FL (01-20-2016), alpha78 (01-21-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    .double posted

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you paint it be sure to not use paint with metallic particles in it .
    i wouldn't attach a vertical antenna to a tree trunk unless at least 3/4 of it cleared the trunks top AND it's one without ground radials like a 99,2k etc. . a better option would be to attach 10 ft of pipe/mast to the antenna and mount that to the tree so the antenna clears it .

you can also "hide" horizontal wire dipoles easily between trees just keep them at least 20 ft high , the higher the better . put 2 of them up 90 degrees off from each other with a antenna switch and you can switch between north/south and east/west directionality , dipoles won't be like jessie's beam though !

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

alpha78 (02-01-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    if you paint it be sure to not use paint with metallic particles in it .
    i wouldn't attach a vertical antenna to a tree trunk unless at least 3/4 of it cleared the trunks top AND it's one without ground radials like a 99,2k etc. . a better option would be to attach 10 ft of pipe/mast to the antenna and mount that to the tree so the antenna clears it .

you can also "hide" horizontal wire dipoles easily between trees just keep them at least 20 ft high , the higher the better . put 2 of them up 90 degrees off from each other with a antenna switch and you can switch between north/south and east/west directionality , dipoles won't be like jessie's beam though !
    Damn there go's the neighborhood! Where you been hiding Booty?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222FL (01-25-2016), BOOTY MONSTER (02-02-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello BOOTY MONSTER!! Been awhile. Like JJD said where you been hiding LOL!! This place has been dead as a door nail as of until late. Anyway, glad to see your still around and still giving out some great info!! 2 dipoles is what I run here along with the NV4K for a vert. Wish I could get an antenna like JJD's up in the backyard. I'd have to go pull a damn permit and shit!! And the neighbors wouldn't be too happy either I suppose! At any rate, again, glad to see you are still around, have a good one.
    222 Daytona Bch., FL waving a hand!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (02-02-2016)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None