preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Stryker SSB Radio

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Was liking this radio just think price is a little steep. For that price ill reconsider the rci2970n2.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Krazynut For This Useful Post:

BushHawg35 (03-26-2022)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ill take the stryker over the 2970 any day of the week. Im gettin one. gotta do it!

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When you do finally get one Noisemaker do a small review, thanks Bulldog.

Kickin' it Old School in Central Maine!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog-Unit777 View Post
    When you do finally get one Noisemaker do a small review, thanks Bulldog.
    Your the "Review King" Bulldog...Get one and do a video...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My money is tied up in other fun stuff at the moment, lol!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    here's some initial comments about the stryker ssb radio from cbmagmans post at world wide radio forum

http://www.worldwidedx.com/export-ra...s-week-11.html

Quote Originally Posted by cbradiomagazine.com View Post
    So, price and color changing lights aside, in my testing last night and this morning I found this radio to be bang on frequency straight out of the box. I had a long conversation with WR178 this morning to discuss how it sounded on air and he reported that the audio was very good (with the stock microphone, we tested a turner +3 desk mike and SRA-158 and the stock mike sounded the best).

I've known WR178 for years and I trust his on air opinion, when a radio doesn't sound good on the air he's always the first to tell me.

As for tuning I usually try to max everything out initially and see if there is distortion or overheating and then back it down. With adjusting the internal pots up AM is keying 15 watts and peaking at 65 watts, SSB is peaking around 75. Both AM and SSB will peak 5 watts higher with a whistle but that's not what I usually go by. I was running this through a low pass filter for testing. I have heard some early reports of 80-90 watts output from some people, I'm guessing this can depend on the tuning, microphone, meter etc. The heatsink got warm to hot to the touch but nothing extreme for 20 minutes of straight talking. Frequency stability remained right on from turn on to turn off.

With the radio "peaked" WR178 and two other stations reported zero distortion, ever when I added the Turner +3. They said it didn't sound overmodulated and audio was loud and clear.

I also got good reports last night from a station in Canada and good feedback from a station in Las Vegas this morning. In the next couple of days I plan to do some on-air recordings so I can hear it for myself and compare it to a couple of other radios.

Receive on the radio is very sensitive to the point of being noisy (much like the CRE 8900 I just reviewed). Just like with the CRE 8900 I found that you'll most likely want to back the RF gain down a bit to reduce some of the noise and it won't have any large effect on your incoming signals.

Now in regards to the roger beep, lights and echo that everyone on here keeps commenting on, let me give you my take on that.

Stryker had loud AM only radios and they picked up a following of people who liked their radios but everyone had been asking for them to do a SSB radio. That crowd wanted one that was stable on frequency and had more options but also was still loud on AM. Stryker knows who their customers are and the people that liked their AM radios also liked the echo, talkback, colors and roger beeps. They are marketing to who buys their radios.

Color changing - the rotating display part I would never use, I don't need a lightshow, and some of the colors just aren't very usable, but there are two blues and a green that look quite nice and work well for night time. Additionally there is a hugely variable dimmer on this radio and so you can adjust the brightness down to whatever level you want or none at all.

I do like the fact that everything on the radio is the same color - I know with some of the radios lately you'd have a different color LCD, channel selector, meter, backlighting etc. So it's nice to see everything one color.

Roger Beeps - There are 6 different types of beep sounds, you can turn it off. If you don't want it, don't use it.

Echo - Again if you don't want it don't use it. Now the cool thing about the echo on this radio is it has a on/off switch that is separated from the controls. One of the big complaints from echo users has always been that if you want to go on SSB you have to turn off the echo and you lose your echo "positioning" or the settings that you liked. With this setup you can set the echo where you want it then use the switch to turn it on and off without messing with your settings.

As for the price - yes it's an expensive radio but it's pricing is in line with the magnum S9-80 and it has more features. Can you buy a nice used HF radio for just a bit more, or a 2970N2, yes, but the people who are considering this radio likely are the guys who liked the original Stryker radios and wanted a SSB radio that can do all the same stuff as their AM radio plus SSB.

The 29XX series doesn't have echo or talkback and some CB'er don't like them as they seem more complicated than say a Galaxy. This radio definitely is giving the CB crowd the bells and whistles the AM crowd likes but it also is blending these with newer technology and greater stability.

Two days into testing this radio I can say that it seems initially to be a very capable radio technically speaking. In terms of audio, output and frequency stability it's definitely a big step up from previous export radios.

Now as a ham radio operator could I use this radio on 10 meters? I'm guessing it would do fine because it's stable and the audio reports have said it's clear and not overmodulated. BUT the radio doesn't have easily adjustable tuning steps. You have to go into the function menu to change the step increments. With the software (which I haven't jumped into yet) you likely can program in your favorite frequencies which would be helpful, but I can say pretty confidently I wouldn't be using this radio as a 10 meter radio on a daily basis. I think the CRE 8900 or a 2950DX is a better "dual" option for that.

That being said - for the average CB'er this radio is going to be much easier to just turn on and use than a CRE 8900 or a 2950DX. It's definitely aimed more at that crowd than the operator who does 10/11/12.

Only other complaint so far other than the step tuning is the channel selector isn't as robust as I'd like (similar to the Magnum S9) and it does occasionally skip a channel.

Lots more to come.........and these are just my first reports so don't hang your hat on anything yet...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

Bulldog-Unit777 (05-27-2012)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have mine. had mosfet upgrade and a 1'' internal fan installed to make sure everything stays cool.
    i love it. by far the best radio i have owned.
    i got rid of all the radios i had and now only own stryker radios.
    2 stryker 447 and 1 styrker 955

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is good to finally see a radio with all those features in the market actually performing.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm waiting on the New Mirage Stealth Pro to hit the market...Not a power-house radio like the Stryker, but should be compact enough for a in-dash install.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    Hows the receiver on the newer unitsi remember some of the first models had a lot of white noise in them like the ranger 2950s

Visitors found this page by searching for

stryker sr-955hp for sale

stryker cb radios for sale

stryker radio

new stryker radio

stryker cb radios reviews

stryker 955 review

stryker sr-955hp radio

Stryker SSB radio

stryker 955 mods

stryker 995

stryker cb radio

stryker 955hp for sale

stryker cb radios

Stryker SR-955HP mod

stryker 955 hpstryker sr-955hp price new stryker ssb radioSTRYKER SR 955HPstryker cb radio modscibi stryker 995Stryker 955 hp ssbstryker sr955stryker sr-955hp reviewstryker 955stryker 955 mod