preps

Thread: My Radio's RF trips breakers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Radio's RF trips breakers

Yep, I guess that's what its doing. Ok, so here is the story. We just moved into this house in Jan 16, and I'm finally getting my radio station up and running. I'm in the garage at the basement level. I have my Stryker 955 HPC hooked up to a 12vdc AGM battery for power. I just made an inverted V Dipole Antenna which is almost a flat 1.1.1 SWR. This antenna is attached to the garage until I can get a longer coax cable , and run it out to the trees, and get it up in the air. That's it. No electrical connection between my radio, or any of the other components. I do have a battery tender charger connected to the battery at all times however. Hmmmm.

Today I was able to make a couple of contacts in Illinois, and Louisiana. So anyway the YL comes down to the garage and tells me the power is out in the master bedroom (main floor), and also in the 2nd story bedroom. Also the lights in the China cabinet come on, and also the lights in the entertainment center come on. These lights are those touch control lights that come on when you just touch a metal button on the china cabinet and entertainment center. So anyway I reset the 120 A/C breakers, and turn the cabinet lights off. Then I go about DX'ing and the breakers trip, and the lights come on. WTF!

My question is , can a radio trip household breakers? I've never heard of this before. Now when I used to run this same radio in my pickup with a TNT 600 HD Amp, it would at times turn the lights on in the same entertainment center we have now, and my voice would bleed over and into the YL's Satellite radio. At that time the truck was about 50 ft from the house. IDK whats going on. Maybe its the battery charger that is causing the problem.

The good news is , that my Homebrew antenna is working.
    Last edited by Fogdog; 05-17-2016 at 02:51 PM.

73 The Fogdog is clear and out of here!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None