preps
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Radio's RF trips breakers

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, your probably right. The antenna is almost touching the house. It was just a temporary spot, just to see if this homebrew dipole would even work. I'm waiting for my coax to get here, then I'll mount it properly. My radio should be ok, although I do have it on full power. No amp, just the radio. Thanks for the help.

73 The Fogdog is clear and out of here!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fogdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Radio's RF trips breakers

The issue you are having with the lamps, if they are like Tallman's ones, get some different ones. I had 2 dipoles up, one directly above the house at 35-40ft and one in the backyard at the opposite end of the yard from where the Sirio vector I took a pic is. It was up at the same height or near the same height as the other. One pointed N/S and the other E/W. Both in the horz. position. I used snap on ferrites and was able to get the impedance down on both antennas. Ran both through the LPF using a diawa switch.
    Never had any RFI issues with anything in my house or the neighbors either. Using the Icom 746 with up to 100w being used. Not much. But I didn't even use that much power 99.9% of the time. More like 20w.
    After installing the Sirio vector 4K i got rid of both dipoles as the the vector does better all around. It heard everything the dipoles heard. Just can't cut noise out as easy due to it being an omnidirectional antenna. But it works well for me on 11m SSB. I have no issues making contacts these days with 100w or less.
    At any rate, get your coax as straight down the antenna to the ground as possible. At least the first 9ft of it anyway. I found keeping them about just above head level and bringing them into radio room worked well. And I also used LMR240 coax and #6awg wire to make mine LOL! They weren't too heavy but man they were heavy duty! Anyways. Might be a good time to look into a good vertical antenna as the DX is dead. You will get some occasionally but it's very sporadic these days! Depending on how bad the winds are where your qth is, I would recommend the Sirio vector 4K or even the 827.
    Any other good antenna is going to cost triple the amount!!
    Only other antennas are the Maco v5/8 or V5000. Anyways just some food for thought and hope you get it all working like you want. Only other antennas I would say to look at is a 3 element beam. Get it up as high as you can. They will tell well locally if you get them up in the air. At any rate, have a good one and maybe I'll catch you on air. Been monitoring 38lsb. Nothing! Just static. Have a good day man.
    Last edited by 222FL; 05-23-2016 at 06:18 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You might want to check out the QSO King antennas on eBay. That's what I use here and have no trouble making contacts on any band I choose. From six meters down to 80 meters and could go down to 160 meters if I put more wire in the air. Gets out very well with low power. I have a linear that can pump out over 800 watts dead key and have never used it. No need because if I can hear them they can hear me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/QSO-KING-160...fDMgORDjOjPCmg
    Last edited by Tallman; 05-23-2016 at 08:22 AM.
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

222FL (05-23-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well thanks fellas for the recommendations. It might take a while, but I'll get er done.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fogdog For This Useful Post:

222FL (05-23-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Today I got all the parts I was waiting for, and set my inverted V dipole up in the air about 25 feet, lmr 400 coax ,and a mfj 1.1 current balun, and still turning lights on inside the house when I transmit. Swr is a bit high, but I have room to shorten it. I'm just not sure what's going on. Maybe as was said earlier, you radio is sending out splatter. I got a couple of good reports tonight, and I had conditions on most channels. Night and day compared to yesterday.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fogdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fixed it. No more lights in the house come on when I key up, and no breakers trip. Even on full power. This dipole hears pretty good, but not sure on transmit. It was pretty rough out there in DX land today.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fogdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What was the issue after all Fogdog? Remove the light or add add some ferrite chokes or something?? Just curious. Haven't been here in a while as tapaltalk and the Formum weren't behaving well together I guess. All seems to be working now for me. Glad to hear you got it resolved. And with the way things are, you might consider a vertical antenna at some point. DX is almost dead and soon all there will be is locals talking. That or get your ticket!! Just some food for thought. You can also make a Vert dipole. Do some reading and see how many sorts or dipole configs there are. A lot more out there then one can imagine it seems LOL!! Anyways. Have a good one. Getting reading for some rain and wind here the next few days. I added more paracord to my mast pipe. Doubled up on all 4 corners. Gotta keep my Sirio vector 4K up. Anyways, again, glad you fixed your issue. Have a good one!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess it was the Balun, and getting the antenna away from my house.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fogdog For This Useful Post:

222FL (06-09-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good deal, glad it's fixed.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Visitors found this page by searching for

None