preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hy-gain spt-500 super penetrator

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

hy-gain spt-500 super penetrator

Recently got one of the new spt-500 verticals. Was wondering what all needs to be done to get it tuned for 11M before it goes up? Heard it's a booger. Also, anyone have luck with setting it up as a .64 wave? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to phantom_tb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on what you're using to tune it. As well as knowing how to use your equipment. And also read the manual twice and follow the directions to a T for tuning. There may be some fine tuning after all is said and done, but if you take you time and follow the instructions you should be just fine.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The manual says assemble to 19' and adjust top section, etc. I have no way to tune it on the ground so, that's why I was looking for specific info. Thanks just the same.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to phantom_tb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With it at 19ft what is the resonant freq?? 27mhz. If this is the case, depending on where you talk at you may have to either lengthen or shorten the antenna. And to make sure it was said, make sure you matching section is out together correctly and is correct with all measurements. There should be a tuning guide in the manual. Is there not? Is so that is pretty crappy. These antenna have to be out together correctly to work correctly! Do some research. There aren't any magic tricks to make them work. Setting the antenna up per the manual will get you in the ballpark I'm sure. Like it says, you will have to fine tune it unless you know what length to set the tip for the freq you most often talk on. This is where I would set it for being resonant. Again, no magic here. Every install is different and what might work for me or someone else may not work for you.
    There are just too many variables. JMHO. Wish you best of luck and be safe!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it were me...I would mount it on a 6 or 8' pole first, then hook your coax up that your going to be using once it's in the air, and get it tuned at ground level first...It's allot easier to take down and tune if it's only on a short pole first.

Once in the air, it should still be close to what it was on the temporary pole...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222FL (06-19-2016), phantom_tb (06-20-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes. Do exactly what JJD has stated. Forgot to mention this. Thanks for catching that JJD. I think I got most of the other stuff right. Great info!! Again. Thx. This place has been pretty slow that is for sure. All the help one can get here is a good thing!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

phantom_tb (06-20-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also read up on how to ground your antenna mast and all equipment as well. Radio, Power supply, and so on. Also use good coax and a good surge arrestor. I have found the Huber Suhner EMP/surge/lightning arrestors work very well for me. And also some other locals as well. Just make sure you get the cooper mounting plate that is needed to ground it to a copper ground rod or ground buss bar. Polyphaser, Andrew, and some other companies make some good surge arrestors as well.
    As far as grounding goes, look up how they ground commercial radio towers and cell site towers for a basic understanding of what a good grounding system should be and look like. You want at least 3 or more ground rods, and also use good wire like #2awg solid copper wire for all ground runs. And some forget to tie all the grounds together to form a single point ground system. Like I said, read up on this. It's no guarantee that you will not get hit by lightning or have a surge, but your equipment can be saved if you have the proper ground setup as well as the surge ar resorts in place.
    And like I said before, take your time. In the end it will be worth the effort!! I promise you that!! Have a great one.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Again...thanks guys. Tried to do some math and think I'll go with 22'4.5". Hope that will get me about where I need to be.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to phantom_tb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see 2 different numbers here phantom_tb. One says 19ft., the other says 22ft 6in. This is from the hy-gain website itself and not the manual.
    And the second photo is from the manual. Here it is.
    With the knowing a true 5/8 wave antenna at 27.205MHz should be approx. 21.50ft for the radiator plus base length and also matching network and radials, I would go with what the hy-gain web site lists as their antenna length. Maybe the PDF is incorrect?? You can cross check this when you get the antenna by simply adding up the lengths of the vertical element when placed together, or see what the manual that comes with it says. So I added up the lengths in the PDF manual and got 17.7ft, this doesn't include the bottom base pipe length as there isn't one posted, but it appears to be about the same length as the other lengths of pipe. With that being said, antenna should be close to 21.5-22ft total length and not the 19ft that is posted in the PDF manual.
    The radials appear to be the correct length, but not the vertical pipe lengths. Hope this helps clear up some confusion. Have a good day.
    And also note in the pic from the manual and you'll see they don't give a measurement for the base vertical pipe. Just the ones above it to the tip.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-28-2016), phantom_tb (06-27-2016), Steve_Buckeye (09-16-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also here is an antenna calculator I use that helps tremendously when building antennas. It's an approximation but will help with a starting point. I'll make one for 27.205 which is ch20 CB band.
    Again, hope this might help some.
    Take your time putting the antenna together, making notes of what length you made every length of antenna pipe, use some corrosion X or no-ox special "A" for all bolts and connections minus the SO239. Also rub entire antenna down with it. Very light coat. This goes for either the corrosion X or the no-ox. Use good weather proofing at the antenna connection. Self amalgamating tape works well. Here is what it looks like and it won't stick to any of your connectors, just to itself. Not like butyl tape! After you apply the weather proofing then use some good 1/2" electrical tape over the weather proofing tape. Again, take your time and it will work well and last for a long time. Be safe and good day.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

phantom_tb (06-27-2016)

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1614-hy-gain-spt-500-super-penetrator

super penetrator 500 base antenna

hygain spt 500

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1614-hy-gain-spt-500-super-penetratorpage2

Penetrator 500 antenna for sale

spt 500 antenna

hy gain spt-500

hy-gain spt-500